* on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
@ 2021-04-20 20:18 Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2021-04-20 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I opened a message today and I saw this line break on the first line:

See this image for a proof:
  https://imgur.com/fW5eZst

The source is not like that.  I said ``C-u g'' and saw the line was
broken.  What part of Gnus source code deals with the display of the
message in the article buffer?

There's another imperfection I've been meaning to propose as a fix which
is about the cut-here marks when displayed by Gnus in the article bufer.
After the cut-here-end mark, there's an extra newline being displayed,
which doesn't appear in the source message.  I'd say that's a cosmetic
bug.  I don't think the author intended for that to happen.  So I could
maybe tackle that as well --- at least as a proposal.

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
@ 2021-04-20 21:08 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-04-20 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Harris; +Cc: ding

On Apr 20 2021, Wayne Harris wrote:

> I opened a message today and I saw this line break on the first line:

> See this image for a proof:
>   https://imgur.com/fW5eZst
>
> The source is not like that.  I said ``C-u g'' and saw the line was
> broken.  What part of Gnus source code deals with the display of the
> message in the article buffer?

Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
@ 2021-04-20 21:36   ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2021-04-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> On Apr 20 2021, Wayne Harris wrote:
>
>> I opened a message today and I saw this line break on the first line:

>> See this image for a proof:
>>   https://imgur.com/fW5eZst
>>
>> The source is not like that.  I said ``C-u g'' and saw the line was
>> broken.  What part of Gnus source code deals with the display of the
>> message in the article buffer?
>
> Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?

I don't know how to check whether visual-line-mode is enabled in the
article buffer.  I just checked the help and I see you're thinking: if
it's enabled, word-wrap will be true and that would explain the problem.
If that's the case, I can probably find out.  More soon!  Thanks!

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
@ 2021-04-21  2:43     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2021-04-21  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

Hellow Wayne ^^^

>> Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?
>
> I don't know how to check whether visual-line-mode is enabled in the
> article buffer.  ...

It's easy to check. Just type as "C-h v".
In my case, its value is nil.

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _和合團結_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
@ 2021-04-21 12:18       ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2021-04-21 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee HWANG <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> writes:

> Hellow Wayne ^^^
>
>>> Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?
>>
>> I don't know how to check whether visual-line-mode is enabled in the
>> article buffer.  ...
>
> It's easy to check. Just type as "C-h v".
> In my case, its value is nil.

Thank you!  It turns out it's nil now, but then when I look at the
message again, it's not breaking that line again.  So I think you've
spotted it right --- for some reason visual-line-mode was one when I saw
that message.