Gnus development mailing list
* gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit does not update marks
@ 2021-01-27  9:57 Juan José García-Ripoll
From: Juan José García-Ripoll @ 2021-01-27  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I have been debugging a problem with nnmaild, my Maildir backend
(https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll/gnus-nnmaild), which is that
'c' did not mark all articles as read.

Debugging the code un Gnus I found that gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit
only updates the list of unread articles (gnus-newsgroup-unreads), as
well as the list of dormant, marked and spam articles.

This happens because this function calls gnus-summary-catchup with the
argument not-mark set to 'fast.

(defun gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit (&optional all quietly)
  "Mark all unread articles in this group as read, then exit.
If prefix argument ALL is non-nil, all articles are marked as read.
If QUIETLY is non-nil, no questions will be asked."
  (interactive "P")
  (when (gnus-summary-catchup all quietly nil 'fast)

This is not consistent with the command gnus-summary-catchup followed by
exit. Is this intended?

Cheers,

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit does not update marks
@ 2021-01-28  5:05 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-01-28  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan José García-Ripoll; +Cc: ding

Juan José García-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com> writes:

> This is not consistent with the command gnus-summary-catchup followed by
> exit. Is this intended?

Yes.  `gnus-request-set-mark' is called, though, which is how the
backend updates the marks.

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit does not update marks
@ 2021-01-29  8:00   ` Juan José García-Ripoll
From: Juan José García-Ripoll @ 2021-01-29  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Juan José García-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is not consistent with the command gnus-summary-catchup followed by
>> exit. Is this intended?
>
> Yes.  `gnus-request-set-mark' is called, though, which is how the
> backend updates the marks.

Thanks, I realized the problem is my server did not supply 'server-marks
to gnus-declare-backend.