* Copying articles to an nnimap group is failing.
@ 2008-09-13 19:46 Jason Riedy
From: Jason Riedy @ 2008-09-13 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm trying to copy articles from an nnmbox group to an nnimap group,
and it fails so spectacularly that I need to restart gnus.  This is
with the current CVS gnus.

When I copy (B C) or move (B M) an article, I receive an error "writing
to process: bad address, imap" (backtrace below).  After that, gnus is
ready, but it hangs on any other access to that imap server.  If I kill
the imapd manually, then gnus sometimes can keep working but not always.

At first I thought I had found a reason to move from dovecot to courier,
but the problem occurs with *both* servers.  I'm using
imap-shell-program to invoke the imap server locally.[1]

The backtrace:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "writing to process" "bad address" #<process imap>)
>   process-send-region(#<process imap> 1 209423)
>   imap-send-command(("APPEND \"" "INBOX.sparse.VIC" "\" " #<buffer  *copy article*>) nil)
>   imap-send-command-wait(("APPEND \"" "INBOX.sparse.VIC" "\" " #<buffer  *copy article*>))
>   imap-message-append("INBOX.sparse.VIC" #<buffer  *copy article*> nil nil " *nnimap* Local")
>   nnimap-request-accept-article("INBOX.sparse.VIC" "Local" t)
>   gnus-request-accept-article("nnimap+Local:INBOX.sparse.VIC" nil t t)
>   gnus-summary-move-article(nil nil nil copy)
>   gnus-summary-copy-article(nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-summary-copy-article nil nil)

The *imap-log* buffer contains:
> 129 NOOP
> 129 OK NOOP completed

> 130 APPEND "INBOX.sparse.VIC" {209422}
> + OK

followed by the entire messge.  After I quit gnus, it also contains:

> * BYE Disconnected for inactivity.

> 26 NOOP

> 26 OK Completed

Sometimes the message is copied, and sometimes it isn't.

Jason

Footnotes:
[1]  I use OfflineIMAP to keep a messages in a few different places, and
it doesn't know about nnmaildir's extra files.  So nnmaildir isn't an option.

* Re: Copying articles to an nnimap group is failing.
@ 2008-09-15 17:38 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-15 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:46:10 -0400 Jason Riedy <jason@acm.org> wrote:

JR> I'm trying to copy articles from an nnmbox group to an nnimap group,
JR> and it fails so spectacularly that I need to restart gnus.  This is
JR> with the current CVS gnus.

JR> When I copy (B C) or move (B M) an article, I receive an error "writing
JR> to process: bad address, imap" (backtrace below).  After that, gnus is
JR> ready, but it hangs on any other access to that imap server.  If I kill
JR> the imapd manually, then gnus sometimes can keep working but not always.

JR> At first I thought I had found a reason to move from dovecot to courier,
JR> but the problem occurs with *both* servers.  I'm using
JR> imap-shell-program to invoke the imap server locally.[1]

Other than imap-shell-program, there's nothing unusual about your setup
and the error seems to happen outside of the IMAP protocol.  Can you
test without the shell program?  Can you try closing that server (kill
all the hidden imap buffers too) and reopen it?

Ted