* Getting started with the agent
@ 2004-06-22  7:21 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2004-06-22  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using gnus 5.10.6 and am trying to get the agent up and
running for IMAP. Here's what I do:

(setq gnus-agent t)

and restart gnus. I want to download all articles for my
groups. From the documentation I read that I need to create
a new category and then add all groups to this category
(this seems a bit to complicated, but I play along). This is
what I do:

- `J c' in the group buffer
- `a' to add a new category called "everything"
- `e' to edit the category
- Change the "Selection Predicate" from `false' to `true'
- Press "Done"

The result is this:

gnus-category-prepare: Wrong type argument: sequencep, ignore

and nothing seems to work properly after this. Am I going
about this the wrong way? Is there a better way to tell the
agent to download all my messages?

Niklas

* Re: Getting started with the agent
@ 2004-06-22  8:14 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-06-22  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> I'm using gnus 5.10.6 and am trying to get the agent up and
> running for IMAP. Here's what I do:
>
> (setq gnus-agent t)

Shouldn't be required, I think.

> and restart gnus. I want to download all articles for my
> groups. From the documentation I read that I need to create
> a new category and then add all groups to this category
> (this seems a bit to complicated, but I play along). This is
> what I do:
>
> - `J c' in the group buffer
> - `a' to add a new category called "everything"
> - `e' to edit the category
> - Change the "Selection Predicate" from `false' to `true'
> - Press "Done"

Isn't there already a `default' category?  I recall one being created
automatically.

> The result is this:
>
> gnus-category-prepare: Wrong type argument: sequencep, ignore
>
> and nothing seems to work properly after this. Am I going
> about this the wrong way? Is there a better way to tell the
> agent to download all my messages?

I get the same error, and I reported it some time ago I believe.  I
edited the category file manually, and restarted Gnus, then it works.
It would be nice if this was fixed...

* Re: Getting started with the agent
@ 2004-06-22  8:48   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2004-06-22  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using gnus 5.10.6 and am trying to get the agent up and
>> running for IMAP. Here's what I do:
>>
>> (setq gnus-agent t)
>
> Shouldn't be required, I think.

Ok, I'll skip that. (Not that it should matter, but it makes
my gnus.el one line shorter :)

[snip]

> Isn't there already a `default' category?  I recall one being created
> automatically.

Yes there is. No groups seem to belong to it, though. I'll
change that instead of creating a new category.

>> The result is this:
>>
>> gnus-category-prepare: Wrong type argument: sequencep, ignore
>>
>> and nothing seems to work properly after this. Am I going
>> about this the wrong way? Is there a better way to tell the
>> agent to download all my messages?
>
> I get the same error, and I reported it some time ago I
> believe.

Good. Then there's nothing wrong with my setup.

> I edited the category file manually, and restarted Gnus,
> then it works. It would be nice if this was fixed...

The complete contents of my ~/News/agent/lib/categories is:

((default true ignore))

Is this correct?

@ 2004-06-22  8:58     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-06-22  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

>> Isn't there already a `default' category?  I recall one being created
>> automatically.
>
> Yes there is. No groups seem to belong to it, though. I'll
> change that instead of creating a new category.

I think the "default" category applies to all groups not part of any
other category.

>> I edited the category file manually, and restarted Gnus,
>> then it works. It would be nice if this was fixed...
>
> The complete contents of my ~/News/agent/lib/categories is:
>
> ((default true ignore))
>
> Is this correct?

I dunno, my category file reads:

((default true nil nil))
((default (agent-predicate . true)))

And I think it downloads everything for me.

FWIW, my .emacs also include the following agent related settings:

 '(gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)
 '(gnus-agent-enable-expiration (quote DISABLE))
 '(gnus-select-article-hook (quote (gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article ...

* Re: Getting started with the agent
@ 2004-06-22 11:41       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-06-22 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
>>> Isn't there already a `default' category?  I recall one being created
>>> automatically.
>>
>> Yes there is. No groups seem to belong to it, though. I'll
>> change that instead of creating a new category.
>
> I think the "default" category applies to all groups not part of any
> other category.
>
>>> I edited the category file manually, and restarted Gnus,
>>> then it works. It would be nice if this was fixed...
>>
>> The complete contents of my ~/News/agent/lib/categories is:
>>
>> ((default true ignore))
>>
>> Is this correct?

Change the ignore to nil.  This bug has been fixed in No Gnus.
I still need to back port it to the 5.10 branch.

> I dunno, my category file reads:
>
> ((default true nil nil))
> ((default (agent-predicate . true)))
>
> And I think it downloads everything for me.

Don't forget to "agentize" your server(s).  All of the categories,
etc. only apply to groups whose servers are "agentized".  Open the
server buffer (^ in the group buffer), select the appropriate server,
then enter "Ja".  You should see "(agent)" appear next to the server's
name.

> FWIW, my .emacs also include the following agent related settings:
>
>  '(gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)
>  '(gnus-agent-enable-expiration (quote DISABLE))
>  '(gnus-select-article-hook (quote (gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article ...

You might also consider
 '(gnus-agent-mark-unread-after-downloaded t)

Kevin

* Re: Getting started with the agent
@ 2004-06-22 12:17         ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2004-06-22 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Don't forget to "agentize" your server(s).

I didn't do this, but the agent seemed to download my
messages anyway with a `J s' in the group buffer. FWIW,
I'm using nnimap to read my mails.

@ 2004-06-22 12:26           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-06-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> Don't forget to "agentize" your server(s).
>
> I didn't do this, but the agent seemed to download my
> messages anyway with a `J s' in the group buffer. FWIW,
> I'm using nnimap to read my mails.

Nnimap and nntp servers are agentized by default, if you start the
Agent for the very first time.  Look in the server buffer to verify
this, though.

* Re: Getting started with the agent
@ 2004-06-24 14:14     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-24 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> Yes there is. No groups seem to belong to it, though. I'll
> change that instead of creating a new category.

The default category is a catch-all for all groups that have no other
category.  That is why there is no list of groups associated with it:
its usage is special-cased.

Kai

* Re: Getting started with the agent
@ 2004-06-28 20:17 ` Michael Schierl
From: Michael Schierl @ 2004-06-28 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> - `J c' in the group buffer
> - `a' to add a new category called "everything"
> - `e' to edit the category
> - Change the "Selection Predicate" from `false' to `true'
> - Press "Done"
>
> The result is this:
>
> gnus-category-prepare: Wrong type argument: sequencep, ignore

`e' for categories is broken in Gnus (at least in my version).

Opening the "Select member groups" thingy before pressing "Done"
might help. Or use `p' for editing the raw predicate.

Michael