* on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-16  2:07 Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-16  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Windows, I said M-x run-python, then said

  for i in range(100000): print(i)

on both GNU EMACS 28 and GNU EMACS 24.  I timed the speed of the
buffer to scroll up.  I used my own phone's stop watch.  I started out
the slow one first, which was EMACS 24, only after it was running I
started the clock, then I started GNU EMACS 28's code.  The result was

GNU EMACS 28 finishes in less than 8.00 seconds.  GNU EMACS 24
finishes after 24.44 seconds.  Incredible difference.  I suppose this
will make me upgrade to GNU EMACS 28.

How do you explain this marvelous difference?  Could there i386 versus
i686 have anything to do this?  I would doubt it.

(*) Versions

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, i686-w64-mingw32) of 2020-07-05

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-16 17:23 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-08-16 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Harris; +Cc: ding

Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:

> On Windows, I said M-x run-python, then said
>
>   for i in range(100000): print(i)
>
> on both GNU EMACS 28 and GNU EMACS 24.  I timed the speed of the
> buffer to scroll up.  I used my own phone's stop watch.  I started out
> the slow one first, which was EMACS 24, only after it was running I
> started the clock, then I started GNU EMACS 28's code.  The result was
>
> GNU EMACS 28 finishes in less than 8.00 seconds.  GNU EMACS 24
> finishes after 24.44 seconds.  Incredible difference.  I suppose this
> will make me upgrade to GNU EMACS 28.
>
> How do you explain this marvelous difference?  Could there i386 versus
> i686 have anything to do this?  I would doubt it.

You probably want to send this to emacs.help or emacs.devel -- this
group is emacs.gnus.general, which is specifically for development work
on Emacs' Gnus newsreader and mail client. Here at Gnus we're still
waiting for our 3x speedup. :)

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-17  3:57   ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-17  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Windows, I said M-x run-python, then said
>>
>>   for i in range(100000): print(i)
>>
>> on both GNU EMACS 28 and GNU EMACS 24.  I timed the speed of the
>> buffer to scroll up.  I used my own phone's stop watch.  I started out
>> the slow one first, which was EMACS 24, only after it was running I
>> started the clock, then I started GNU EMACS 28's code.  The result was
>>
>> GNU EMACS 28 finishes in less than 8.00 seconds.  GNU EMACS 24
>> finishes after 24.44 seconds.  Incredible difference.  I suppose this
>> will make me upgrade to GNU EMACS 28.
>>
>> How do you explain this marvelous difference?  Could there i386 versus
>> i686 have anything to do this?  I would doubt it.
>
> You probably want to send this to emacs.help or emacs.devel -- this
> group is emacs.gnus.general, which is specifically for development work
> on Emacs' Gnus newsreader and mail client. Here at Gnus we're still
> waiting for our 3x speedup. :)

This was an accident.  I apologize.  I thought I had written to USENET's
gnu.emacs.help.  Thanks for the kind reply!

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-19  2:02     ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-19  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:

>> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Windows, I said M-x run-python, then said
>>>
>>>   for i in range(100000): print(i)
>>>
>>> on both GNU EMACS 28 and GNU EMACS 24.  I timed the speed of the
>>> buffer to scroll up.  I used my own phone's stop watch.  I started out
>>> the slow one first, which was EMACS 24, only after it was running I
>>> started the clock, then I started GNU EMACS 28's code.  The result was
>>>
>>> GNU EMACS 28 finishes in less than 8.00 seconds.  GNU EMACS 24
>>> finishes after 24.44 seconds.  Incredible difference.  I suppose this
>>> will make me upgrade to GNU EMACS 28.
>>>
>>> How do you explain this marvelous difference?  Could there i386 versus
>>> i686 have anything to do this?  I would doubt it.
>>
>> You probably want to send this to emacs.help or emacs.devel -- this
>> group is emacs.gnus.general, which is specifically for development work
>> on Emacs' Gnus newsreader and mail client. Here at Gnus we're still
>> waiting for our 3x speedup. :)
>
> This was an accident.  I apologize.  I thought I had written to USENET's
> gnu.emacs.help.  Thanks for the kind reply!

But, you see, I believe gnu.emacs.help mirrors some mail list and when I
post to it, I think it stays in the newsgroup instead of going to the
mail list.  Why do I think that?  I think someone told me that once, so
I guess I didn't even quite follow the implicit advice there.  Anyhow, I
think my emacs.help community is actually very small.

I don't really know how it works.  Must I subscribe myself to
emacs.help, the mail list?  Perhaps if I were a subscriber, then my
messages would go to the mail list.  Alright, I just did that.  I'm
subscribed.  Let's see what happens.

Thanks!

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-19 16:27       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-08-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:

> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> This was an accident. I apologize. I thought I had written to USENET's
>> gnu.emacs.help. Thanks for the kind reply!
>
> But, you see, I believe gnu.emacs.help mirrors some mail list and when I
> post to it, I think it stays in the newsgroup instead of going to the
> mail list. Why do I think that? I think someone told me that once, so
> I guess I didn't even quite follow the implicit advice there. Anyhow, I
> think my emacs.help community is actually very small.

To my embarrassment, I don't know how it works, either. I use Gnus as a
newsreader, and access these emacs.* groups via nntp. But sometimes I
followup using "F", and sometimes I reply with "S W". I'm often not even
aware of which I've used. In the latter case, I must be sending email to
ding@gnus.org, but it all ends up looking the same to me.

> I don't really know how it works. Must I subscribe myself to
> emacs.help, the mail list? Perhaps if I were a subscriber, then my
> messages would go to the mail list. Alright, I just did that. I'm
> subscribed. Let's see what happens.

I never signed up for anything, and I'm sure I sometimes reply-by-mail
to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org rather than following up to gmane.emacs.help,
and nothing has ever asked me to subscribe.

You message I'm following up on has these headers:

Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
To: ding@gnus.org

So is that belt *and* suspenders?

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20  2:22         ` Rafi Khan
From: Rafi Khan @ 2020-08-20  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> To my embarrassment, I don't know how it works, either. I use Gnus as a
> newsreader, and access these emacs.* groups via nntp. But sometimes I
> followup using "F", and sometimes I reply with "S W". I'm often not even
> aware of which I've used. In the latter case, I must be sending email to
> ding@gnus.org, but it all ends up looking the same to me.

I never really understood the difference between "F" and "S W"... could
you explain?

Thanks,
Rafi

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20  2:57         ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-20  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:
>>

> [...]
>
>>> This was an accident. I apologize. I thought I had written to USENET's
>>> gnu.emacs.help. Thanks for the kind reply!
>>
>> But, you see, I believe gnu.emacs.help mirrors some mail list and when I
>> post to it, I think it stays in the newsgroup instead of going to the
>> mail list. Why do I think that? I think someone told me that once, so
>> I guess I didn't even quite follow the implicit advice there. Anyhow, I
>> think my emacs.help community is actually very small.
>
> To my embarrassment, I don't know how it works, either. I use Gnus as a
> newsreader, and access these emacs.* groups via nntp. But sometimes I
> followup using "F", and sometimes I reply with "S W". I'm often not even
> aware of which I've used. In the latter case, I must be sending email to
> ding@gnus.org, but it all ends up looking the same to me.

I think you're correct.  The first will follow-up to the newsgroup via
NNTP and the second will mail it to the mail list.

>> I don't really know how it works. Must I subscribe myself to
>> emacs.help, the mail list? Perhaps if I were a subscriber, then my
>> messages would go to the mail list. Alright, I just did that. I'm
>> subscribed. Let's see what happens.
>
> I never signed up for anything, and I'm sure I sometimes reply-by-mail
> to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org rather than following up to gmane.emacs.help,
> and nothing has ever asked me to subscribe.

Most likely the mail list accepts posts without a subscription and when
people reply they probably have the habit of including the sender in the
reply, so you get the answers even not being a subscriber.  This way you
can get help from experts without having to subscribe (as if you were
one).  (It's totally reasonable to wish to just consult an expert and
not participate in all discussions.)

Now I thought that when you post to NNTP server, the NNTP would try its
best to forward the message to the mail list, but I think this doesn't
quite happen --- or perhaps it does this only for subscribers.  I'm a
subscriber now, so let's see if this message will be posted to the mail
list.

> You message I'm following up on has these headers:
>
> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
> To: ding@gnus.org
>
> So is that belt *and* suspenders?

I think that's evidence that I posted to the newsgroup and it was
forwarded to the whole mailing list.

Hopefully someone that really knows will come to our rescue!  Thanks!

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20  3:02           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-08-20  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafi Khan; +Cc: ding

On 08/19/20 22:22 PM, Rafi Khan wrote:
>> To my embarrassment, I don't know how it works, either. I use Gnus as a
>> newsreader, and access these emacs.* groups via nntp. But sometimes I
>> followup using "F", and sometimes I reply with "S W". I'm often not even
>> aware of which I've used. In the latter case, I must be sending email to
>> ding@gnus.org, but it all ends up looking the same to me.
>
> I never really understood the difference between "F" and "S W"... could
> you explain?

Gnus can send messages via two methods: "news" (which is done directly
by an nntp server), and "mail" (which requires separate SMTP
configuration). In the Summary buffer, you've got multiple
semi-redundant commands which do the same thing for either news (called
a "followup") or mail (called a "reply"). Because followup is only ever
sent to a newsgroup (not multiple recipients), it only has two flavors
-- with or without quotation -- on "f" and "F". A mail reply can be
"plain", "wide" or "very wide", and also with or without quotation,
leading to a total of (*counts on fingers*) six bound commands. The full
complement is on the "S" prefix key, but "r" and "R" also do the most
obvious.

Where I'm less certain is what happens when you mail reply in an nntp
newsgroup. In the case of gnus.general, the address "ding@gnus.org" is
always in the cc, so if you do any of the (very) wide reply options,
Gnus apparently knows that your message will also go to the group, and
it lets you send the mail reply (as opposed to the news followup). If
you try a non-wide mail reply (which would not go to the group) it
assumes you're making a dumb mistake and asks for confirmation.

I don't know how much of this is standard nntp stuff, how much
particular to Gnus the newsreader, and how much particular to
gnus.general the newsgroup.

Hope that didn't make things worse!

Eric

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20  3:36             ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-20  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On 08/19/20 22:22 PM, Rafi Khan wrote:
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>> To my embarrassment, I don't know how it works, either. I use Gnus as a
>>> newsreader, and access these emacs.* groups via nntp. But sometimes I
>>> followup using "F", and sometimes I reply with "S W". I'm often not even
>>> aware of which I've used. In the latter case, I must be sending email to
>>> ding@gnus.org, but it all ends up looking the same to me.
>>
>> I never really understood the difference between "F" and "S W"... could
>> you explain?

By the way, Rafi Khan's message must have gone only to your mailbox
because it did not reach the newsgroup (so I think it did not reach the
mail list either).

[...]

> Where I'm less certain is what happens when you mail reply in an nntp
> newsgroup.

This doesn't happen.  The headers are wrecking havoc in your mind. :-)

You can't mail reply in NNTP newsgroup.  You can post an NNTP message
with a header such as ``To: ding@somewhere.com''.  That's no problem.
By having such header, someone reading the NNTP server could use their
NNTP client to reply by mail if they so wished.

Now, because the NNTP server will handle your message to some system
that will make it post to the mail list, then the list needs all the
mail headers that the mail list mechanism will require.  That's why we
end up with messages that look like NNTP articles and SMTP messages.

That's my theory.

> In the case of gnus.general, the address "ding@gnus.org" is always in
> the cc, so if you do any of the (very) wide reply options, Gnus
> apparently knows that your message will also go to the group, and it
> lets you send the mail reply (as opposed to the news followup). If you
> try a non-wide mail reply (which would not go to the group) it assumes
> you're making a dumb mistake and asks for confirmation.
>
> I don't know how much of this is standard nntp stuff, how much
> particular to Gnus the newsreader, and how much particular to
> gnus.general the newsgroup.

I think essentially nothing is particular to NNTP nor to Gnus.  The
designers of this system are using their freedom to add headers to
messages to make this marvelous NNTP way to participate in mail lists.
It's a very great contribution --- thanks to Gmane!

> Hope that didn't make things worse!

It's all good either way.  I hope someone educates us if we're too off
the right course.

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20 14:14               ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:

>>> I never really understood the difference between "F" and "S W"... could
>>> you explain?
>
> By the way, Rafi Khan's message must have gone only to your mailbox
> because it did not reach the newsgroup (so I think it did not reach the
> mail list either).

Now I see his message coming from the mail list, but it arrived after
yours.

[...]

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20 18:02                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-08-20 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:

> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>> By the way, Rafi Khan's message must have gone only to your mailbox
>> because it did not reach the newsgroup (so I think it did not reach the
>> mail list either).
>
> Now I see his message coming from the mail list, but it arrived after
> yours.

Yes, his mail was To: me and Cc: ding, and the direct mail arrived
first. I replied to that, also Cc: ding, and for some reason the gateway
ingested my reply before his original...

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20 21:55                   ` Jason Tibbitts
From: Jason Tibbitts @ 2020-08-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

EA> I replied to that, also Cc: ding, and for some reason the
EA> gateway ingested my reply before his original...

The mailing list is managed by a human (me) and occasionally messages
are held for moderation, usually because they come from addresses which
do not subscribe to the mailing list.  I have to approve these once,
just to cut down on spam.

 - J<

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-20 22:44                     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-08-20 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jason Tibbitts <tibbs@math.uh.edu> writes:

> EA> I replied to that, also Cc: ding, and for some reason the
> EA> gateway ingested my reply before his original...
>
> The mailing list is managed by a human (me) and occasionally messages
> are held for moderation, usually because they come from addresses which
> do not subscribe to the mailing list.  I have to approve these once,
> just to cut down on spam.

Well thank you for clearing that up, I'm glad we finally heard from
someone who wasn't just speculating! :)

And thanks for your work on the list.

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-21  0:12                   ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-21  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com> writes:

>>> By the way, Rafi Khan's message must have gone only to your mailbox
>>> because it did not reach the newsgroup (so I think it did not reach the
>>> mail list either).
>>
>> Now I see his message coming from the mail list, but it arrived after
>> yours.
>
> Yes, his mail was To: me and Cc: ding, and the direct mail arrived
> first. I replied to that, also Cc: ding, and for some reason the gateway
> ingested my reply before his original...

Perhaps Rafi Khan's delayed in deliverying his message to the mail server.

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-21  2:01                     ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-08-21  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

> EA> I replied to that, also Cc: ding, and for some reason the
> EA> gateway ingested my reply before his original...
>
> The mailing list is managed by a human (me) and occasionally messages
> are held for moderation, usually because they come from addresses which
> do not subscribe to the mailing list.  I have to approve these once,
> just to cut down on spam.

Thank You, Jason^^^

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee from South Korea

--
^고맙습니다 _和合團結_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
@ 2020-08-21  3:52                       ` Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-21  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> EA> I replied to that, also Cc: ding, and for some reason the
>> EA> gateway ingested my reply before his original...
>>
>> The mailing list is managed by a human (me) and occasionally messages
>> are held for moderation, usually because they come from addresses which
>> do not subscribe to the mailing list.  I have to approve these once,
>> just to cut down on spam.
>
> Well thank you for clearing that up, I'm glad we finally heard from
> someone who wasn't just speculating! :)

Wasn't speculating _and_ could also answer our math questions! :-)

> And thanks for your work on the list.

Yes, I love Gnus and I probably wouldn't be using it still if it were
not for all the experts that gather around here.