* on downloading too much data when there's no news
@ 2020-08-06 14:13 Wayne Harris
From: Wayne Harris @ 2020-08-06 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Here's my secondary select method.

  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '((nntp "news.fidonet.fi" 119)))

I subscribe only the group fidonews.  Every time I check for new news,
about 12 KiB of data is downloaded --- I watch it being downloaded.  But
there's no news at all.  These 12 KiB seem to be due to the group
fidonews.  If I add other groups, the amount of data increases.  So it
seems that Gnus is always downloading a considerable amount of data even
though there is nothing new to download.  Thunderbird doesn't seem to
download almost anything when there's nothing new.

Any ideas as to how news.fidonet.fi is fooling /my/ Gnus?  Thank you.

  GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
  Gnus v5.13