* I need a new mark!
@ 2006-07-28 10:57 Max Froumentin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Max Froumentin @ 2006-07-28 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd really like to have two different "ticked" marks.
1. One for important emails I've got to do something about
2. One for emails I want to keep visible for one reason or another.

I tried to have gnus display read articles so that my "1" articles
would be read articles, and my "2" articles would be normal ticked
articles, but that doesn't work well: gnus is definitely not meant to
display read articles by default, as it messes up threading and scoring
for instance.

Another way would be to tick articles "1" and leave articles "2" as
unread.  But I'd need to change the navigation in the summary buffer,
to ignore unread-but-not-new articles and jump to new articles, as
well as modify the faces (but I don't think there are different faces
for unread and unread-and-new).

Or is it best to create my own custom mark from scratch?
Or is there another simpler way?

Cheers,

Max.

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-07-28 11:56 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-07-28 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:

> I'd really like to have two different "ticked" marks.
> 1. One for important emails I've got to do something about
> 2. One for emails I want to keep visible for one reason or another.
>
> Or is it best to create my own custom mark from scratch?
> Or is there another simpler way?

How about creating a Group nnml:Todo where you copy group 1 to. Group 2
you would tick normally.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-07-28 15:20 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2006-07-28 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:57:19 +0100, Max wrote:

> I'd really like to have two different "ticked" marks.
> 1. One for important emails I've got to do something about

I cheat and mark these with '!' _and_ '*' (cache).

> 2. One for emails I want to keep visible for one reason or another.

These I just mark with '!'

  Best regards,

   Adam

--
 "Subdued flamboyance"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-08-14  1:00 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2006-08-14  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd really like to have two different "ticked" marks.
> 1. One for important emails I've got to do something about
> 2. One for emails I want to keep visible for one reason or another.

You might consider using something like Planner, which can create task lists
from gnus messages, so that when you look at the list, there is a hyperlink to
jump to that specific gnus message.

http://www.emacswiki.org/wiki/PlannerMode

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-08-22 17:13   ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2006-08-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

>> I'd really like to have two different "ticked" marks.
>> 1. One for important emails I've got to do something about
>> 2. One for emails I want to keep visible for one reason or another.
>>

> You might consider using something like Planner, which can create task lists
> from gnus messages, so that when you look at the list, there is a hyperlink to
> jump to that specific gnus message.

Hi John,

Thanks, I've used planner for some time, but the problem was that I expire
messages to archived groups after some time. The link from planner would
then become invalid.

In fact I solved my marks problem eventually, as a side effect of
switching to nnimap. Now displaying read articles in the summary isn't
as awkward as with nnfolder, even though I now avoid things like
scoring on body (my, what terminology). So I do have my 3 marks:
ticked, read, unread.

On the subject of task lists, I tried something simple: todo emails I
send to myself, and procmail puts them in Todo folders, and I would
edit the emails, adding notes as I complete the tasks. Unfortunately,
now that I'm doing IMAP I can't edit articles. So I'll have to find another
way. Stay tuned.

Max.

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-08-22 21:58   ` Allen S. Rout
From: Allen S. Rout @ 2006-08-22 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd really like to have two different "ticked" marks.
>
> You might consider using something like Planner, which can create task lists
> from gnus messages, so that when you look at the list, there is a hyperlink to
> jump to that specific gnus message.

Out of curiosity, why is marking so single-value?  I've many times
wished I could invent a bunch of marks which would have whatever
meaning.

- Allen S. Rout

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-08-25  7:05     ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2006-08-25  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:

> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>>> I'd really like to have two different "ticked" marks.
>>> 1. One for important emails I've got to do something about
>>> 2. One for emails I want to keep visible for one reason or another.
>>>

>> You might consider using something like Planner, which can create task lists
>> from gnus messages, so that when you look at the list, there is a hyperlink to
>> jump to that specific gnus message.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks, I've used planner for some time, but the problem was that I expire
> messages to archived groups after some time. The link from planner would
> then become invalid.

True, but then I guess I don't understand your use case. Neither of your two
examples for ways you want to be able to mark articles applies to archived
articles?

>>> 1. One for important emails I've got to do something about
>>> 2. One for emails I want to keep visible for one reason or another.

I wouldn't think either one of those cases would be archived.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-08-29 11:54     ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2006-08-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

asr@ufl.edu (Allen S. Rout) writes:

> Out of curiosity, why is marking so single-value?

Historical, I suppose.

> I've many times wished I could invent a bunch of marks which would
> have whatever meaning.

Indeed. And generalising even further, article annotations.

When I set marks on emails, it indicates I need to do something
related to them. So the possibility of adding comments about what to
do is very appealing.

With nnfolder I would edit the article and add notes between
brackets. But I can't do that anymore with nnimap.

Max.

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-08-29 12:21       ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2006-08-29 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> True, but then I guess I don't understand your use case. Neither of your two
> examples for ways you want to be able to mark articles applies to archived
> articles?

> I wouldn't think either one of those cases would be archived.

I think it does, in fact: if an article is expired to another group,
it keeps its marks.

<rant> Using planner would work, somehow, but it breaks one principle
I've always found myself going back to: use gnus for everything that
has a represented as a list (email, rss, todo, diary, web
searches). All the nn* backends prove that I'm not the only one doing
that, and it makes gnus very powerful. It pushes it sometimes (try to
explain nneething to a gnus beginner), though, and it feels it would
be much simpler to use a specific package, like planner or org.el to
mansge tasks. I have tried a few but haven't made the jump yet.

The jump will happen though. Switching to nnimap has reminded me that
format-centric paradigms (IMAP, ICAL, etc.) are better than
application-centric ones. Especially now, as I don't necessarily read
my mail with gnus on my mobile phone, or manage my calendar, todo
list, etc.  </rant>

Max.

* Re: I need a new mark!
@ 2006-08-30 22:35         ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2006-08-30 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:

> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> True, but then I guess I don't understand your use case. Neither of your two
>> examples for ways you want to be able to mark articles applies to archived
>> articles?

>> I wouldn't think either one of those cases would be archived.
>
> I think it does, in fact: if an article is expired to another group,
> it keeps its marks.

Sorry, I meant that you wouldn't _want_ them to be archived. If a person marks
something as needing action or as permanently visible, that to me means that it
they would not want it archived.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net