* Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-06 19:22 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-06 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

... because I was tired of using the HTML editor at Wordpress.com:

http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2014/03/06/posting-to-wordpress-from-emacs/

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07  6:59 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-03-07  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> ... because I was tired of using the HTML editor at Wordpress.com:
> http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2014/03/06/posting-to-wordpress-from-emacs/

Hm... I've been using org-mode to create my articles
 http://steinar.bang.priv.no/

But maybe this is something to check out...?

You have text and images, but what about stuff like code examples?  Have
you given that any thoughts?

org-mode provides syntax colouring based on the mode used for the code
examples:
 http://steinar.bang.priv.no/2012/05/02/using-org-mode/

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07 12:28   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-07 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Hm... I've been using org-mode to create my articles
>  http://steinar.bang.priv.no/
>
> But maybe this is something to check out...?
>
> You have text and images, but what about stuff like code examples?  Have
> you given that any thoughts?

Nope.  >"?

Does org mode allow uploading embedded pictures when uploading to
WordPress?  That was my main impetus for implementing this.  Uploading
images is boooring.

> org-mode provides syntax colouring based on the mode used for the code
> examples:
>  http://steinar.bang.priv.no/2012/05/02/using-org-mode/

WordPress does some filtering of the HTML with the "post by email"
feature...  Let's see whether formatting survives...

Nope.  WordPress strips all <spans> and <pre> things, apparently.  So
whatever interface Org is using is superior if you're using complex
formatting.

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07 12:33     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hm...  but it apparently supports Markdown via "post by email".  I could
give that a shot.

Does Emacs have a Markdown mode?

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07 12:51     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-03-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Does org mode allow uploading embedded pictures when uploading to
> WordPress?

I haven't looked or tried, so I don't know.

[snip!]
> WordPress does some filtering of the HTML with the "post by email"
> feature...  Let's see whether formatting survives...

> Nope.  WordPress strips all <spans> and <pre> things, apparently.  So
> whatever interface Org is using is superior if you're using complex
> formatting.

Ok.  I'll stay with what I have, then.

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07 12:56       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-07 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hm...  but it apparently supports Markdown via "post by email".  I could
> give that a shot.
>
> Does Emacs have a Markdown mode?

Wordpress has native "shortcode" support for code, which seems to
survive the email posting:

[code language="css"]
#button {<br>
    font-weight: bold;<br>
    border: 2px solid #fff;<br>
}
[/code]

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07 12:59       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-03-07 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Does Emacs have a Markdown mode?

There is one on EmacsWiki: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MarkdownMode

I also found that org is supposed to support export to markdown:
 http://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html

But when I tried this on my current org, which is the org distributed
with emacs 24.3, `C-c C-e m' tried exporting to MindMap (and the extra
"m" ended up in the org buffer).

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07 13:07         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-03-07 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Wordpress has native "shortcode" support for code, which seems to
> survive the email posting:

> [code language="css"]
> #button {<br>
>     font-weight: bold;<br>
>     border: 2px solid #fff;<br>
> }
> [/code]

I was wondering if this is what the org export had done, but the org
export uses <pre> containing <span> elements to do the syntax
colouring (I looked at the Text pane on an Edit of one of the articles
in the WordPress Dashboard).

AFAIK the org export uses the ordinary HTML export and then either
pushes it as-is and let WordPress strip it down to the supported tag
set, or strips the HTML down to what WordPress expects.

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-03-07 13:27           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-07 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> AFAIK the org export uses the ordinary HTML export and then either
> pushes it as-is and let WordPress strip it down to the supported tag
> set, or strips the HTML down to what WordPress expects.

Right.  The interface Org uses to push stuff to WordPress must be more
permissive (allows more tags and stuff) than the email interface.

* Re: Message gets multipart/related support...
@ 2014-04-19 22:00         ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-04-19 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2014-03-07 13:59 Steinar Bang wrote:

>> Does Emacs have a Markdown mode?
>
> There is one on EmacsWiki: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MarkdownMode
>
> I also found that org is supposed to support export to markdown:
>  http://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html
>
> But when I tried this on my current org, which is the org distributed
> with emacs 24.3, `C-c C-e m' tried exporting to MindMap (and the extra
> "m" ended up in the org buffer).

The org-mode that bundles with Emacs 24.3 is very old (7.9
something). There has been a major overhall regarding the exporters
which has been shipped with Org-Mode 8. I guess that does also include
the Markdown Exporter.

Regards,
--
 Alexander Baier