* Articles marked as read without reading them
@ 2003-11-03 21:59 Jon Ericson
From: Jon Ericson @ 2003-11-03 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got a group with lots of unread messages (so I can remember to do
something about them once I've read them).  Sometimes I only want to
see, say, the last 10 messages.  So from the *Group* buffer I do a
M-10 RET to enter the group.  Then I read the messages I'm interested
in and quit the *Summary* buffer by hitting `q'.  I haven't noticed
anything wrong with this until today when suddenly a bunch of old
messages, that didn't get displayed in the *Summary* buffer, were
marked as read.  I can't, unfortunately, reproduce this behavior
though. :( Does anyone know what might be causing this, where I can
look in the code, or can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jon
--
  But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for
  yourselves this day whom you will serve . . . But as for me and my

* Re: Articles marked as read without reading them
@ 2003-11-03 23:19 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2003-11-03 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> I haven't noticed anything wrong with this until today when suddenly
> a bunch of old messages, that didn't get displayed in the *Summary*
> buffer, were marked as read.

Do you have adaptive scoring on?  That's the simplest explanation for
things being marked as read without you actually seeing them.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
PUNNY BOOK = Home Alone III, The Sequel: Eddie Buddyhome.

* Re: Articles marked as read without reading them
@ 2003-11-04  2:26   ` Jon Ericson
From: Jon Ericson @ 2003-11-04  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
>
>> I haven't noticed anything wrong with this until today when suddenly
>> a bunch of old messages, that didn't get displayed in the *Summary*
>> buffer, were marked as read.
>
> Do you have adaptive scoring on?  That's the simplest explanation for
> things being marked as read without you actually seeing them.

I do, but I'd be surprised if that were the cause.  For on thing my
gnus-summary-mark-below is set to -1000, and my adaptive scoring rules
are very small adjustments.  Also it seems odd that articles which
don't appear in the *Summary* buffer would be scored or marked at all.

On further inspection, that can't be the reason as the articles in
question have a slightly positive scores.

Any other ideas?

Jon
--

@ 2003-11-04  2:34     ` Jon Ericson
From: Jon Ericson @ 2003-11-04  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:
>
>> Do you have adaptive scoring on?  That's the simplest explanation for
>> things being marked as read without you actually seeing them.

> Any other ideas?

Just to be clear, it's a nnml group with no expire variables set.

Jon
--

@ 2003-11-04 13:41 ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-11-04 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> I've got a group with lots of unread messages [...]
> suddenly a bunch of old messages, that didn't get displayed in the
> *Summary* buffer, were marked as read.

> Does anyone know what might be causing this, where I can
> look in the code, or can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I don't think you did anything wrong, as some people have seen and
reported this before. I have seen it several times in nnml groups.

In my case there was no adaptive scoring involved and nothing like
M-10 RETURN  either. The messages had just been split into the group
where they showed up marked as read (or *didn't* show up depending on
group/topic parameters, which was especially annoing...)

Robert Epprecht

* Re: Articles marked as read without reading them
@ 2003-11-07 21:33       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-07 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:

> Just to be clear, it's a nnml group with no expire variables set.

I get this behavior too - I lose the "unread" marks and they become
"read" occasionally, but there's no apparent reason other than
entering the group with C-u NUMBER Enter instead of Enter.

It just happened in my nnimap ding group.  I can't remember what
messages are erroenously marked read now, because I wasn't paying
attention :(

Ted

* Re: Articles marked as read without reading them
@ 2003-11-09  6:34         ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2003-11-09  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear, it's a nnml group with no expire variables set.
>
> I get this behavior too - I lose the "unread" marks and they become
> "read" occasionally, but there's no apparent reason other than
> entering the group with C-u NUMBER Enter instead of Enter.

I also have the impression that C-u NUMBER Enter is the culprit - I
have this problem occasionally in groups where I do so...

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany

* Re: Articles marked as read without reading them
@ 2003-11-10 15:58           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-10 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jon Ericson, ding

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003, aj@suse.de wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:
>>
>>> Just to be clear, it's a nnml group with no expire variables set.
>>
>> I get this behavior too - I lose the "unread" marks and they become
>> "read" occasionally, but there's no apparent reason other than
>> entering the group with C-u NUMBER Enter instead of Enter.
>
> I also have the impression that C-u NUMBER Enter is the culprit - I
> have this problem occasionally in groups where I do so...

What's annoying is that this is very sporadic, so I haven't been able
to repeat it consistently.  I could, for instance, save the list of
unread articles every time I enter a group, but that wouldn't tell me
where the bug is actually happening.

Ted

* Re: Articles marked as read without reading them
@ 2003-11-13  5:41           ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-11-13  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:
>>
>>> Just to be clear, it's a nnml group with no expire variables set.
>>
>> I get this behavior too - I lose the "unread" marks and they become
>> "read" occasionally, but there's no apparent reason other than
>> entering the group with C-u NUMBER Enter instead of Enter.
>
> I also have the impression that C-u NUMBER Enter is the culprit - I
> have this problem occasionally in groups where I do so...

No, I *never* use 'C-u NUMBER Enter' but *have* seen it multiple times.

Robert Epprecht.