* specify posting method from backend?
@ 1999-02-14 19:59 Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-02-14 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suppose I write a new backend nnfoo and tell it it's a news backend.
Then, hitting C-u a on the group name nnfoo:bar will generate a header
``Newsgroups: bar''.  How do I arrange that hitting C-c C-c makes this
message end up in nnfoo:bar?

I tried to (gnus-group-set-parameter <groupname> 'gnus-post-method
<method>) when creating an nnfoo group.  This was added to the group
parameters just fine, but in that message buffer from the first
paragraph gnus-post-method was still nil.

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: specify posting method from backend?
@ 1999-02-19 14:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Suppose I write a new backend nnfoo and tell it it's a news backend.
> Then, hitting C-u a on the group name nnfoo:bar will generate a header
> ``Newsgroups: bar''.  How do I arrange that hitting C-c C-c makes this
> message end up in nnfoo:bar?

Well, `C-u C-c C-c' should send using the "current" select method.

* Re: specify posting method from backend?
@ 1999-02-19 16:14   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-02-19 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Well, `C-u C-c C-c' should send using the "current" select method.

Well, users of the nnfoo backend shouldn't have to do something
special, so I'd be really happy if they could just type C-c C-c and
not had to set gnus-post-method and stuff.

Didn't you have a way of mapping group parameters to buffer-local
variables?  Isn't there a way to set gnus-post-method that way?

But I fear that the steps group parameters to summary buffer variables
to message buffer variables might be one too many.

Right now, I add a Gcc header via the gcc-self group parameter and
remove the Newsgroups header via a function in message-send-hook.
(The nnfoo backend is a newsey backend.)  Dis is rilly rilly ugly.

kai

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Well, users of the nnfoo backend shouldn't have to do something
> special, so I'd be really happy if they could just type C-c C-c and
> not had to set gnus-post-method and stuff.

If you set `gnus-post-method' to `current', then it will always post
to the current server.

* Re: specify posting method from backend?
@ 1999-02-19 17:58       ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-02-19 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > If you set `gnus-post-method' to `current', then it will always
  > post to the current server.

Yes, but I don't want to have to tell the users to do that just to use
my backend.

I'm trying to manage todo items, and I don't really feel that people
should change their post method just to be able to enter todo items.

kai

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> I'm trying to manage todo items, and I don't really feel that people
> should change their post method just to be able to enter todo items.

Yes.  But the problem is that the backends do not control how Gnus
sends messages; Gnus says what backends to use.  It may have been a
design mistake to default to the native posting method when posting,
but that's how it is.