* crossposted mail articles not expired?
@ 1998-12-18 16:52 Anil B. Somayaji
From: Anil B. Somayaji @ 1998-12-18 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!  There's a little "feature" that has been bugging me for a little
while now.  I have lots of nnml groups, and my split rules often
result in crossposts.  This all works fine, and in fact I love it.
Unfortunately, when I have an article expire in one group, it remains
present in the other crossposted groups.  Even worse, the article now
has Xref lines referring to non-existent files (hard links, really).

Here's a real example.  I have a message that was crossposted between my
"adaptive" and "forrest" directories.  In the header, it has:

However, I had marked the article for expiration in the adaptive
group, and so adaptive:276 no longer exists.  But forrest:1000 does,
with the reference to adaptive:276!

Perhaps it should be an option, but it would be nice if gnus
automatically expired all copies of an article.  Or, maybe when you
manually mark an article for expiration (which is all I do - I'm a
pack rat), there would be a command for "mark to expire this article
and all of its crosspostings."  And, if this is not done, maybe the
bogus Xref should be removed.

I'd be happy to hack on this, if someone can point me to the relevant
functions - I haven't studied the gnus source much.

BTW, I'm running pgnus 0.66.  Thanks!

  --Anil

--
Anil Somayaji (soma@cs.unm.edu)
http://www.cs.unm.edu/~soma

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 284 bytes --]

* Re: crossposted mail articles not expired?
@ 1998-12-18 17:48 ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1998-12-18 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

soma@cs.unm.edu (Anil B. Somayaji) writes:

> Perhaps it should be an option, but it would be nice if gnus
> automatically expired all copies of an article.  Or, maybe when you
> manually mark an article for expiration (which is all I do - I'm a
> pack rat), there would be a command for "mark to expire this article
> and all of its crosspostings."  And, if this is not done, maybe the
> bogus Xref should be removed.

Or even better, IMHO, would be if crossposted mail were treated in the
same way as news servers handle expiring crossposted news. That is,
the article is not removed until it has expired in *all* the
groups. (Though I do use total-expire in most mail groups, so articles
do not need manual expiry). On the other hand B del should remove the
article immediately in all crossposted groups.

* Re: crossposted mail articles not expired?
@ 1998-12-18 18:08   ` Anil B. Somayaji
From: Anil B. Somayaji @ 1998-12-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On the other hand B del should remove the article immediately in
> all crossposted groups.

Nope - B del does exactly the same thing as regular expiration.  I
just tried it.  Oh well.

  --Anil

--

@ 1998-12-18 21:29   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-12-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On the other hand B del should remove the article immediately in all
> crossposted groups.

For what it is worth, I like the way B del works (and each group
having its own copy of the mail in general).

--
matta

* Re: crossposted mail articles not expired?
@ 1998-12-19  1:16 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-19  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think there was some discussion on handling expiry a year or so
ago.  The consensus seemed to be that something should be done about
it, and there should be ways of saying:

  - delete this article from this group
  - delete this article from all groups

Here, `delete' means after the expiry wait time, of course.

For the moment, you can do two things:

(1) Use total-expire and gnus-use-cross-reference.
    This means that articles will be removed from all groups when
    marked as read.  Ticking an article means it will stay in that
    group, I think.

(2) Else.
    This means that each copy is treated separately.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: crossposted mail articles not expired?
@ 1998-12-20  6:49     ` Yair Friedman
From: Yair Friedman @ 1998-12-20  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

soma@cs.unm.edu (Anil B. Somayaji) writes:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
> Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On the other hand B del should remove the article immediately in
> > all crossposted groups.
>
> Nope - B del does exactly the same thing as regular expiration.  I
> just tried it.  Oh well.

B del does delete articles, but look at nnmail-keep-last-article this
might cause the delays you experiencing.
--
Yair Friedman.