* prolems viewing inline GIFS (XEmacs, 0.80)
@ 1999-03-12 14:02 Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-03-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi-

If I send myself an email with an attached GIF file, when I read it, I
see the button to show it.

If I middle-mouse the button, or select "View Internally" off the
menu, I see the GIF beautifully.

However, if I tab to the button and hit `i' (`gnus-mime-inline-part'),
I get the raw GIF.  Ugh!

Is this a feature or a bug?  Personally, I choose the latter.

--
Colin

* Re: prolems viewing inline GIFS (XEmacs, 0.80)
@ 1999-03-12 15:04 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-12 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

  > However, if I tab to the button and hit `i' (`gnus-mime-inline-part'),
  > I get the raw GIF.  Ugh!
  >
  > Is this a feature or a bug?  Personally, I choose the latter.

This is a feature.  It allows you to look at textual stuff even if it
has been declared as sumpin' strange, such as
application/octet-stream, or image/gif, or message/rfc822.

Hm.  Maybe it had something to do with textual things with

Doesn't XEmacs already display things inline which it can display
inline?  Then you're using `i' for the wrong purpose.

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: prolems viewing inline GIFS (XEmacs, 0.80)
@ 1999-03-12 15:43   ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-03-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann writes:
> Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

>> However, if I tab to the button and hit `i' (`gnus-mime-inline-part'),
>> I get the raw GIF.  Ugh!
>>
>> Is this a feature or a bug?  Personally, I choose the latter.

> This is a feature.  It allows you to look at textual stuff even if it
> has been declared as sumpin' strange, such as
> application/octet-stream, or image/gif, or message/rfc822.

That's legit.

> Hm.  Maybe it had something to do with textual things with

Yes, the disposition was `attachment'.  This is the default in mml,
when I do a `C-c C-a'.

How can I change it so that disposition of pretty things are inline,
but ugly things are attachments?  For example, a GIF is pretty, but a
.tar.gz is ugly.

I'm not sure where a patch or .el file falls into the pretty/ugly
hierarchy..

> Doesn't XEmacs already display things inline which it can display
> inline?  Then you're using `i' for the wrong purpose.

It doesn't but not for disposition `attachment'.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-03-14 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

> How can I change it so that disposition of pretty things are inline,
> but ugly things are attachments?  For example, a GIF is pretty, but a
> .tar.gz is ugly.

You can override the Content-Disposition: attachment with the
`mm-attachment-override-types' variable.

* Re: prolems viewing inline GIFS (XEmacs, 0.80)
@ 1999-03-15 15:50       ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-03-15 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

>> How can I change it so that disposition of pretty things are inline,
>> but ugly things are attachments?  For example, a GIF is pretty, but a
>> .tar.gz is ugly.

> You can override the Content-Disposition: attachment with the
> `mm-attachment-override-types' variable.

My question is coming from the sending side, however.  Some of my
correspondents don't use Gnus, and can't set that variable.

I would like it so that when I am composing in message-mode, if I type
`C-c C-a' and enter a GIF, the MIME that mml creates sets the
Content-Disposition to be inline rather attachment.

--

@ 1999-03-15 17:50         ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-03-15 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> > Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:
>
> >> How can I change it so that disposition of pretty things are inline,
> >> but ugly things are attachments?  For example, a GIF is pretty, but a
> >> .tar.gz is ugly.
>
> > You can override the Content-Disposition: attachment with the
> > `mm-attachment-override-types' variable.
>
> My question is coming from the sending side, however.  Some of my
> correspondents don't use Gnus, and can't set that variable.
>
> I would like it so that when I am composing in message-mode, if I type
> `C-c C-a' and enter a GIF, the MIME that mml creates sets the
> Content-Disposition to be inline rather attachment.

You can edit the mml directly... there is an attribute on each mime part
that sets the disposition.  You would just need to change the
'disposition=attachment' to 'disposition=inline' before sending.

It would be useful to make prefix-arg mean 'inline' for
message-mime-attach-file.  Or when the prettier keybindings, etc, come down
the pike.

-bp

* [patch] Re: prolems viewing inline GIFS (XEmacs, 0.80)
@ 1999-03-15 19:25           ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-03-15 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

William M Perry writes:
> Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

>> I would like it so that when I am composing in message-mode, if I type
>> `C-c C-a' and enter a GIF, the MIME that mml creates sets the
>> Content-Disposition to be inline rather attachment.

> You can edit the mml directly... there is an attribute on each mime part
> that sets the disposition.  You would just need to change the
> 'disposition=attachment' to 'disposition=inline' before sending.

Of course.  If I had scrolled my window, I would have seen that.

> It would be useful to make prefix-arg mean 'inline' for
> message-mime-attach-file.

I agree.

[-- Attachment #2: Patch to do WMP's wish. --]
[-- Type: application/x-patch, Size: 1626 bytes --]

;; Colin

* Re: [patch] Re: prolems viewing inline GIFS (XEmacs, 0.80)
@ 1999-03-28 15:06             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-03-28 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <colin@xemacs.org> writes:

> > It would be useful to make prefix-arg mean 'inline' for
> > message-mime-attach-file.
>
> I agree.

Wouldn't it be more useful to add a slew of mml insertion commands,
one of which would insert an inline part?  I'm just thinking that it's
not unlikely that we want to add oodles of these commands, and using
the prefix to toggle inline/attachment may not be what we want in the
end.