From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnimap backend performances ?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 11:38:13 +0800	[thread overview]

myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> 2) /etc/dovecot/passwd: The lines that used to look like
>>
>> eric@ericabrahamsen.net:{PLAIN}passwurd
>>
>> Now look like
>>
>> eric@ericabrahamsen.net:{PLAIN}passwurd:eric@ericabrahamsen.net
>
> Nice. This is the puzzle piece I was missing. Now it works!

Ah, I'm glad to hear that was the key -- that confirms my dim
recollection of what was going on. I'm still a bit hazy on what's
happening, but I think a good half hour with the docs will clear things
up, and I'll update the blog post once I've done that. Dovecot really is
very flexible, once you get your head around the principles.

>> I think the crux of the problem is that _authentication account_ and
>> _user account_ are actually separate concerns. Either the previous
>> version of isync was doing it wrong, or my dovecot config had to be
>> fixed to separate the two things correctly, or maybe both.
>>
>> To be honest I've forgotten how it works, a bit, and that's the main
>> reason I haven't synced my two new accounts to the local dovecot.
>>
>> I'll try to do that this weekend, and update that blog post! In the
>> meantime, I hope something in here is helpful to you.
>
> A huge help. Thank You.
>
> FWIW, My goal is to sweep multiple gmail accounts into bullet-proof
> archives with tools for searching and clustering several decades of
> work. To get a handle on what is doable, I am experimenting with gnus
> backends and search schemes, mu/mu4e, dovecot, and mbsync.
>
> I would love to hear suggestions of other emacs-compatible solutions I
> should try.

I might not be too helpful here, unfortunately. I've only ever used
gnus/dovecot/isync. As I said in that post, I think dovecot plus a fts
plugin works great, but I really don't like the search syntax on the
Gnus/nnir side -- I find it very cumbersome. If there were a nicer
syntax for searching, I think I'd be happy with this.

I could also imagine using nnmaildir -- it seems simpler, at least
conceptually, if all you want is to keep mails archived. In that case
you could probably use notmuch to index the mails, and set nnir to use
that notmuch installation as the search backend. If you don't need
accounts and authentication and everything for a simple local archive,
that should be enough. I'll bet the searching would be even faster, as
well.