From: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus blocked by Gmail?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:38:21 +0200	[thread overview]

> I have had no problems accessing gmail.  Have you looked at the various
> buffers that gnus creates when accessing imap folders?

Hmm, I don't see such buffers, just group, summary, article and message
buffers. What names do they have? Maybe you configured a variable to get
them? Or maybe I don't see them since access to my imap folders is
denied to gnus right now?

> The only thing I can suggest is that you try a newer version of gnus.

I use the gnus that is shipped with emacs 24.3, and since I don't do any
fancy things with gnus, I would be quite happy with a stable version,
even if not fully up-to-date.

I wonder how/where to find messages that tell something about the reason
why access is denied (if this info is given at all by the gmail
servers).

Frustratingly, the .msmtp.log file apparently only logs successful
actions:

,----
| Aug 22 20:55:48 host=smtp.gmail.com tls=on auth=on
| user=foo@gmail.com from=foo@gmail.com
| recipients=foo@gmail.com mailsize=90 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250
| 2.0.0 OK [...] exitcode=EX_OK
`----

the errors would be more interesting, but accessing the gmail servers
and sending mails with msmtp are probably independent steps.

--
cheers,
Thorsten