From: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus blocked by Gmail?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 19:17:59 +0200	[thread overview]

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I set it and tried, but get no "*imap log*" buffer.
>
> I wonder if the Gnus in your Emacs is old enough not to have that
> feature. Can you look up the documentation of the variable in your
> Emacs?
>
>> ,----
>> | Unable to open server nnimap+foo due to: make client process failed:
>> | die Wartezeit für die Verbindung ist abgelaufen (=> German for
>> | "timeout")
>> `----
>
> Does other IMAP-clients work with Gmail on your computer?
>
>> I asked Google, but it seems my settings are alright (they worked for a
>> long time before):
>
> I have just:
>
>   (nnimap "gmail" (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))
>
> in my gnus-secondary-select-methods - Gnus connects to the standard IMAP
> port and uses STARTTLS.
>
> Did you try using openssl on the commandline to connect to Gmail?
>
>   $ openssl s_client -connect imap.gmail.com:imaps

works for me too

> connects fine for me.
>
>> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>       '( (nnimap "x.y"
>>                 (nnimap-address "imap.gmail-alias1.com")
>
> What's with the "-alias1" ?

thats just a trick for managing several gmail accounts, see:
http://cataclysmicmutation.com/2010/11/multiple-gmail-accounts-in-gnus

>>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>
> Maybe try with STARTTLS?

I think ssl should work here, did not help.

But I think I got it - you question about the -alias1 made me search
where this is defined and I found /etc/hosts where I had several of this

,----
| 173.194.69.109 imap.gmail-alias1.com
`----

so I searched the web and found

,----
| 173.194.116.182 imap.gmail-alias1.com
`----

but did not work either, so I finally did

,----
| ping -c 2 imap.gmail.com
`----

and got

,----
| 74.125.136.109 imap.gmail-alias1.com
`----

and this new IP finally makes it work again.

So it seems Google just dropped the old IP I used and things stopped
working. Puh, simple cause, simple cure, but somehow tricky diagnosis, I
hope I remember this for the future ...

Thanks a lot for you help, Adam and Eric!

--
cheers,
Thorsten