* still want Seen articles split...
@ 2014-01-05 13:15 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-01-05 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I recently got an Android tablet (with great trepidation), and have been
watching how webmail/gmail on that interacts with Gnus. I use imap, and
one unfortunate side-effect is that if I look at a message on the tablet
(in the gmail app) and leave it marked as read, then sync using Gnus
later, that message won't be split, because %Seen is one of the flags in
the default value of nnimap-unsplittable-articles.

I can't really take it out of there, because IIUC that will resplit all
the messages in INBOX every single time I sync, which would be bad. On
the other hand, I can't immediately think of any solution to the
problem.

Has anyone else encountered this and thought about it?

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: still want Seen articles split...
@ 2014-01-06 22:25 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-01-06 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:15:32 +0700 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

EA> I recently got an Android tablet (with great trepidation), and have been
EA> watching how webmail/gmail on that interacts with Gnus. I use imap, and
EA> one unfortunate side-effect is that if I look at a message on the tablet
EA> (in the gmail app) and leave it marked as read, then sync using Gnus
EA> later, that message won't be split, because %Seen is one of the flags in
EA> the default value of nnimap-unsplittable-articles.

EA> I can't really take it out of there, because IIUC that will resplit all
EA> the messages in INBOX every single time I sync, which would be bad. On
EA> the other hand, I can't immediately think of any solution to the
EA> problem.

EA> Has anyone else encountered this and thought about it?

I did, and have no solution.  Annoying.  Maybe we need a gnus-seen flag?

Ted

* Re: still want Seen articles split...
@ 2014-01-07  3:23   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-01-07  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:15:32 +0700 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
> EA> I recently got an Android tablet (with great trepidation), and have been
> EA> watching how webmail/gmail on that interacts with Gnus. I use imap, and
> EA> one unfortunate side-effect is that if I look at a message on the tablet
> EA> (in the gmail app) and leave it marked as read, then sync using Gnus
> EA> later, that message won't be split, because %Seen is one of the flags in
> EA> the default value of nnimap-unsplittable-articles.
>
> EA> I can't really take it out of there, because IIUC that will resplit all
> EA> the messages in INBOX every single time I sync, which would be bad. On
> EA> the other hand, I can't immediately think of any solution to the
> EA> problem.
>
> EA> Has anyone else encountered this and thought about it?
>
> I did, and have no solution.  Annoying.  Maybe we need a gnus-seen flag?
>
> Ted

That's what I was thinking, too. There could be a little bonus in there,
in that you could customize whether it is the Seen or gnus-seen flags
that decide if gnus shows an article as read or unread. So if you're not
using your tablet/phone as a primary mail device, you could choose to
have gnus basically ignore the fact that you'd read an article on that
device. If you set it the other way, gnus will treat the articles as
read and hide them, but still split them.

Implementing this would be another issue...

@ 2014-01-07 17:55 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-01-07 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

> I can't really take it out of there, because IIUC that will resplit all
> the messages in INBOX every single time I sync, which would be bad.

This would only be bad if splitting leaves messages in INBOX.  My
solution to this problem was to ensure that all emails are moved to
other folders when splitting, leaving INBOX empty each time.  For those
emails that you would normally have left in INBOX, create a "general"
folder and move them there.

Alternatively, do the splitting on the server instead of in gnus.

Both approaches can work -- I've done both and, in fact, currently use a
combination of the two.  On the server, I split those emails I would
seldom, if ever, want to look at on a mobile device.  Gnus splits all
others, seen or not.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.1 + Ma Gnus v0.8 + evil 1.0-dev

* Re: still want Seen articles split...
@ 2014-01-08 15:22   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-01-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:55:19 +0000 Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

ESF> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
ESF> [...]

>> I can't really take it out of there, because IIUC that will resplit all
>> the messages in INBOX every single time I sync, which would be bad.

ESF> This would only be bad if splitting leaves messages in INBOX.  My
ESF> solution to this problem was to ensure that all emails are moved to
ESF> other folders when splitting, leaving INBOX empty each time.  For those
ESF> emails that you would normally have left in INBOX, create a "general"
ESF> folder and move them there.

ESF> Alternatively, do the splitting on the server instead of in gnus.

ESF> Both approaches can work -- I've done both and, in fact, currently use a
ESF> combination of the two.  On the server, I split those emails I would
ESF> seldom, if ever, want to look at on a mobile device.  Gnus splits all
ESF> others, seen or not.

I keep everything from one account in a single INBOX to keep it
manageable with other tools, but another account is always split into
folders.  Both approaches make sense in context.

I can't think of a good general solution, sorry.  A gnus-seen flag would
help but not in every situation.

Ted

* Re: still want Seen articles split...
@ 2014-01-09  3:23     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-01-09  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:55:19 +0000 Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> ESF> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
> ESF> [...]
>
>>> I can't really take it out of there, because IIUC that will resplit all
>>> the messages in INBOX every single time I sync, which would be bad.
>
> ESF> This would only be bad if splitting leaves messages in INBOX.  My
> ESF> solution to this problem was to ensure that all emails are moved to
> ESF> other folders when splitting, leaving INBOX empty each time.  For those
> ESF> emails that you would normally have left in INBOX, create a "general"
> ESF> folder and move them there.
>
> ESF> Alternatively, do the splitting on the server instead of in gnus.
>
> ESF> Both approaches can work -- I've done both and, in fact, currently use a
> ESF> combination of the two.  On the server, I split those emails I would
> ESF> seldom, if ever, want to look at on a mobile device.  Gnus splits all
> ESF> others, seen or not.
>
> I keep everything from one account in a single INBOX to keep it
> manageable with other tools, but another account is always split into
> folders.  Both approaches make sense in context.
>
> I can't think of a good general solution, sorry.  A gnus-seen flag would
> help but not in every situation.

Fair enough. Both approaches do make sense, and generally speaking
server-side splitting seems far the most reasonable thing to do. I only
wish Gmail supported bulk import of filters -- I'm pretty wedded to my
BBDB-based splitting.

@ 2014-01-09  3:36       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-01-09  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:55:19 +0000 Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> ESF> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>> ESF> [...]
>>
>> ESF> This would only be bad if splitting leaves messages in INBOX.  My
>> ESF> solution to this problem was to ensure that all emails are moved to
>> ESF> other folders when splitting, leaving INBOX empty each time.  For those
>> ESF> emails that you would normally have left in INBOX, create a "general"
>> ESF> folder and move them there.
>>
>> ESF> Alternatively, do the splitting on the server instead of in gnus.
>>
>> ESF> Both approaches can work -- I've done both and, in fact, currently use a
>> ESF> combination of the two.  On the server, I split those emails I would
>> ESF> seldom, if ever, want to look at on a mobile device.  Gnus splits all
>> ESF> others, seen or not.
>>
>> I keep everything from one account in a single INBOX to keep it
>> manageable with other tools, but another account is always split into
>> folders.  Both approaches make sense in context.
>>
>> I can't think of a good general solution, sorry.  A gnus-seen flag would
>> help but not in every situation.
>
> Fair enough. Both approaches do make sense, and generally speaking
> server-side splitting seems far the most reasonable thing to do. I only
> wish Gmail supported bulk import of filters -- I'm pretty wedded to my
> BBDB-based splitting.

May have spoken too soon -- it looks like Gmail can import in bulk. Now
to see if importation can be automated...