* problems with smime signatures
@ 2012-06-10 20:29 Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2012-06-10 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm using Gnus v5.13 with the latest emacs snapshot (updated today), and
i'm having trouble trying to sign using smime.  I just use C-c C-m s s,
which adds the signing cooking <#secure method=smime mode=sign> all
right.  I've configured smime following the instructions in the manual,
which are basically the same as those in the emacs wiki
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSMIME), pointing Gnus to a valid (as
far as i can tell) key file.

The problem is that when i send the message, emacs won't ask me for the
key password, but it won't produce any error or message i can see
either, and send and empty signature mime component in the mail[0].

Any hints on how to further diagnose the problem or solve it greatly
appreaciated!

Cheers,
jao

[0] For a news message like this one (i'm sending it through gmane),
send fails with the message:

  Couldn't send message via news:
  441 Post rejected, formatting error: Header tag not found.

but i guess that has to do with the smime protocol being no suitable for
nntp?

* Re: problems with smime signatures
@ 2012-06-16 15:03 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-06-16 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz; +Cc: ding

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz writes:
> I'm using Gnus v5.13 with the latest emacs snapshot (updated today), and
> i'm having trouble trying to sign using smime.  I just use C-c C-m s s,
> which adds the signing cooking <#secure method=smime mode=sign> all
> right.  I've configured smime following the instructions in the manual,
> which are basically the same as those in the emacs wiki
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSMIME), pointing Gnus to a valid (as
> far as i can tell) key file.

I've written that Wiki page a long time ago. Rather than using openssl,
you should try to use the gpgsm back end, as described here

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/67372/focus=67400

-David