* sendmail/smtpmail etc.
@ 2011-11-15  7:57 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-11-15  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

My gnus in Debian uses sendmail to send. I have exim4 configured to use
a smart host.

But, how should it be configured to use sendmail *but* using the
authentication info in .authinfo for the smtp server as well as the
opening and reading from gmail? Has this been addressed at all the
recent changes in 24.1? I realise there are loads of hacks around to to
do this in earlier gnus where the send domain is used to map using msmtp
or somesuch, but is this now possible using the authinfo file and
"automatic"?

I like the .authinfo.gpg and having a root readable
"etc/exim4/passwd.client" seems like heresy which I can have my password
snugly hidden in the gpg file. (Ditto for msmtp congi of course).

regards

r.

* Re: sendmail/smtpmail etc.
@ 2011-11-15 15:43 ` Kan-Ru Chen
From: Kan-Ru Chen @ 2011-11-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> My gnus in Debian uses sendmail to send. I have exim4 configured to use
> a smart host.
>
> But, how should it be configured to use sendmail *but* using the
> authentication info in .authinfo for the smtp server as well as the
> opening and reading from gmail? Has this been addressed at all the
> recent changes in 24.1? I realise there are loads of hacks around to to
> do this in earlier gnus where the send domain is used to map using msmtp
> or somesuch, but is this now possible using the authinfo file and
> "automatic"?

Do you want to use different configuration for different sending
address? I use the recipe from
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts but add hook to
message-send-mail-hook so it works no matter it's sent directly or from
the queue.

--
Kanru

* Re: sendmail/smtpmail etc.
@ 2011-11-16  1:58   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-11-16  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Kan-Ru Chen <kanru@kanru.info> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> My gnus in Debian uses sendmail to send. I have exim4 configured to use
>> a smart host.
>>
>> But, how should it be configured to use sendmail *but* using the
>> authentication info in .authinfo for the smtp server as well as the
>> opening and reading from gmail? Has this been addressed at all the
>> recent changes in 24.1? I realise there are loads of hacks around to to
>> do this in earlier gnus where the send domain is used to map using msmtp
>> or somesuch, but is this now possible using the authinfo file and
>> "automatic"?
>
> Do you want to use different configuration for different sending
> address? I use the recipe from
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts but add hook to
> message-send-mail-hook so it works no matter it's sent directly or from
> the queue.

No. I want to use the relevant smtp server that corresponds to the mail
server in question with the auth details passed from emacs and my secure
authinfo.gpg file. In fact, and to go further, I want to avoid any and
all hacks such as that wiki solution and the myriad of similar ones which
makes configuring gnus so hard at times. Any solution which starts with
"Basically" always gives me the willies to be honest... Connecting to
and reading from a server is well catered for. Posting via that same
seems not to be so straightforward.

* Re: sendmail/smtpmail etc.
@ 2011-11-16  3:08     ` Kan-Ru Chen
From: Kan-Ru Chen @ 2011-11-16  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>> Do you want to use different configuration for different sending
>> address? I use the recipe from
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts but add hook to
>> message-send-mail-hook so it works no matter it's sent directly or from
>> the queue.
>
> No. I want to use the relevant smtp server that corresponds to the mail
> server in question with the auth details passed from emacs and my secure
> authinfo.gpg file. In fact, and to go further, I want to avoid any and
> all hacks such as that wiki solution and the myriad of similar ones which
> makes configuring gnus so hard at times. Any solution which starts with
> "Basically" always gives me the willies to be honest... Connecting to
> and reading from a server is well catered for. Posting via that same
> seems not to be so straightforward.

So you want exim4/msmtp to use credentials from authinfo? But this is
not something emacs could help, that exim4/msmtp has to provide the
interface to either read from authinfo directly or read from a secret
pipeline or so.

However, smtpmail is very easy to setup and uses authinfo by default.

--
Kanru

* Re: sendmail/smtpmail etc.
@ 2011-11-16 13:42       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-11-16 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Kan-Ru Chen <kanru@kanru.info> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> Do you want to use different configuration for different sending
>>> address? I use the recipe from
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts but add hook to
>>> message-send-mail-hook so it works no matter it's sent directly or from
>>> the queue.
>>
>> No. I want to use the relevant smtp server that corresponds to the mail
>> server in question with the auth details passed from emacs and my secure
>> authinfo.gpg file. In fact, and to go further, I want to avoid any and
>> all hacks such as that wiki solution and the myriad of similar ones which
>> makes configuring gnus so hard at times. Any solution which starts with
>> "Basically" always gives me the willies to be honest... Connecting to
>> and reading from a server is well catered for. Posting via that same
>> seems not to be so straightforward.
>
> So you want exim4/msmtp to use credentials from authinfo? But this is
> not something emacs could help, that exim4/msmtp has to provide the
> interface to either read from authinfo directly or read from a secret
> pipeline or so.
>
> However, smtpmail is very easy to setup and uses authinfo by default.

Maybe I'm going around in circles again.

my send-mail-function is sendmail-send-it.

Why cant this be used to pass the correct authinfo password to sendmail
(which is exim4)? Part of not wanting to use msmtp etc is they are
synchronous.

* Re: sendmail/smtpmail etc.
@ 2011-11-16 20:51         ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2011-11-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Nov 16 2011, Richard Riley wrote:

> Kan-Ru Chen <kanru@kanru.info> writes:

>>> No. I want to use the relevant smtp server that corresponds to the mail
>>> server in question with the auth details passed from emacs and my secure
>>> authinfo.gpg file. In fact, and to go further, I want to avoid any and
>>> all hacks such as that wiki solution and the myriad of similar ones which
>>> makes configuring gnus so hard at times. Any solution which starts with
>>> "Basically" always gives me the willies to be honest... Connecting to
>>> and reading from a server is well catered for. Posting via that same
>>> seems not to be so straightforward.
>>
>> So you want exim4/msmtp to use credentials from authinfo? But this is
>> not something emacs could help, that exim4/msmtp has to provide the
>> interface to either read from authinfo directly or read from a secret
>> pipeline or so.
>>
>> However, smtpmail is very easy to setup and uses authinfo by default.
>
> Maybe I'm going around in circles again.
>
> my send-mail-function is sendmail-send-it.
>
> Why cant this be used to pass the correct authinfo password to sendmail
> (which is exim4)? Part of not wanting to use msmtp etc is they are
> synchronous.

smtpmail is not sendmail.  If you set

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Then smtp-send-it *can* use authinfo to log into your smtp server.

Jason

* Re: sendmail/smtpmail etc.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-03 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Maybe I'm going around in circles again.
>
> my send-mail-function is sendmail-send-it.
>
> Why cant this be used to pass the correct authinfo password to sendmail
> (which is exim4)?

This isn't possible, which is one of the many reasons that Emacs now
defaults to using smtpmail.el instead of sendmail.