* Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-24 17:29 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-24 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

This one guy's postings are driving me crazy.  I simply can't get them
not to look awful to me; even the full outlook deuglify treatment
doesn't help much.  Here's an example:

https://groups.google.com/group/boostcon-plan/msg/912f21588d23cfa8?dmode=source&output=gplain&noredirect

Of course I'll try (again) to get him to improve his ways, but is there
anything we can do about this in Gnus?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-25  6:54 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-07-25  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Jul 24 2011, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> This one guy's postings are driving me crazy.  I simply can't get them
> not to look awful to me; even the full outlook deuglify treatment
> doesn't help much.  Here's an example:
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/boostcon-plan/msg/912f21588d23cfa8?dmode=source&output=gplain&noredirect

The message is not accessible to non-subscribers.  Please attach the
(gzipped) file or refer to a message on an accessible archive
(e.g. gmane.org).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-25  7:42   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-07-25  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Jul 25 2011, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 24 2011, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>> This one guy's postings are driving me crazy.  I simply can't get them
>> not to look awful to me; even the full outlook deuglify treatment
>> doesn't help much.  Here's an example:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/group/boostcon-plan/msg/912f21588d23cfa8?dmode=source&output=gplain&noredirect
>
> The message is not accessible to non-subscribers.  Please attach the
> (gzipped) file or refer to a message on an accessible archive
> (e.g. gmane.org).

Or just "S-D-r" (Resend message). (For example to gmane.test or here.)

--
           Peter

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-25 19:30   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-25 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Mon Jul 25 2011, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane-AT-imap.cc> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 24 2011, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>> This one guy's postings are driving me crazy.  I simply can't get them
>> not to look awful to me; even the full outlook deuglify treatment
>> doesn't help much.  Here's an example:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/group/boostcon-plan/msg/912f21588d23cfa8?dmode=source&output=gplain&noredirect
>
> The message is not accessible to non-subscribers.

Oops, sorry!

> Please attach the
> (gzipped) file or refer to a message on an accessible archive
> (e.g. gmane.org).

https://gist.github.com/1104962

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-25 19:55     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-07-25 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

Hi Dave,

>> Please attach the (gzipped) file or refer to a message on an
>> accessible archive (e.g. gmane.org).
>
> https://gist.github.com/1104962

At a first glance, the only annoying thing is the comb-quoting, right?
That can be easily deuglified using `W w'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-26 16:37       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Mon Jul 25 2011, Tassilo Horn <tassilo-AT-member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
>>> Please attach the (gzipped) file or refer to a message on an
>>> accessible archive (e.g. gmane.org).
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/1104962
>
> At a first glance, the only annoying thing is the comb-quoting, right?

Well, generally bad line-wrapping, whether in quoted text or not.

> That can be easily deuglified using `W w'.

Yeah, I guess... I'm reluctant to use `W w' because it's such a big
hammer.  It tends to mangle code sections and bulleted/numbered lists
whose items aren't separated by blank lines.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-26 18:14         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-07-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

Hi Dave,

>> At a first glance, the only annoying thing is the comb-quoting,
>> right?
>
> Well, generally bad line-wrapping, whether in quoted text or not.
>
>> That can be easily deuglified using `W w'.
>
> Yeah, I guess... I'm reluctant to use `W w' because it's such a big
> hammer.  It tends to mangle code sections and bulleted/numbered lists
> whose items aren't separated by blank lines.

Yes, that's true.  It would be useful if one could could restrict the
washing commands to only operate on the active region.  Then you could
use

  h <move point to bad paragraph> M-h W w

jump to the article buffer, mark a badly formatted paragraph and refill
it without affecting other parts.  Hm, that's much less convenient than
a DWIMish operation, so maybe it's better to teach `W w' to handle
bulleted/numbered lists properly...

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-27 14:32           ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-27 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

on Tue Jul 26 2011, Tassilo Horn <tassilo-AT-member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
>>> At a first glance, the only annoying thing is the comb-quoting,
>>> right?
>>
>> Well, generally bad line-wrapping, whether in quoted text or not.
>>
>>> That can be easily deuglified using `W w'.
>>
>> Yeah, I guess... I'm reluctant to use `W w' because it's such a big
>> hammer.  It tends to mangle code sections and bulleted/numbered lists
>> whose items aren't separated by blank lines.
>
> Yes, that's true.  It would be useful if one could could restrict the
> washing commands to only operate on the active region.  Then you could
> use
>
>   h <move point to bad paragraph> M-h W w
>
> jump to the article buffer, mark a badly formatted paragraph and refill
> it without affecting other parts.  Hm, that's much less convenient than
> a DWIMish operation, so maybe it's better to teach `W w' to handle
> bulleted/numbered lists properly...

...and other things, like code.  My feeling was always that lines
beginning with whitespace should usually be left alone.

In any case, I favor DWIMishness.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Can't Deuglify!
@ 2011-07-28 12:11           ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2011-07-28 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:14:09 +0200 Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
>>> At a first glance, the only annoying thing is the comb-quoting,
>>> right?
>>
>> Well, generally bad line-wrapping, whether in quoted text or not.
>>
>>> That can be easily deuglified using `W w'.
>>
>> Yeah, I guess... I'm reluctant to use `W w' because it's such a big
>> hammer.  It tends to mangle code sections and bulleted/numbered lists
>> whose items aren't separated by blank lines.
>
> Yes, that's true.  It would be useful if one could could restrict the
> washing commands to only operate on the active region.  Then you could
> use
>
>   h <move point to bad paragraph> M-h W w
>
> jump to the article buffer, mark a badly formatted paragraph and refill
> it without affecting other parts.  Hm, that's much less convenient than
> a DWIMish operation, so maybe it's better to teach `W w' to handle
> bulleted/numbered lists properly...

I once submitted a patch to make `W w' operate on the region:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64884

Steve Berman