From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Next registry error
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:37:03 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:51:41 +0200 Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

TH> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp ("nntp" t))
TH> string-match(("nntp" t) "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX")
TH> byte-code("\b\304.\211.\203.\n@.\305	\v\"\203.\306\307	\"\210\nA\211.\204\b.*\304\207" [list r --cl-dolist-temp-- word nil string-match throw found] 4)
TH> gnus-grep-in-list("nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX" (("nntp" t) ("training" t) ("Junk" t)))
TH> gnus-registry-ignore-group-p("nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX")
>>
>> Your `gnus-registry-ignored-groups' or
>> `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent-ignore-groups' is
>>
>> '(("nntp" t) ("training" t) ("Junk" t))

TH> Yes,

>> but it should be a list of regexps or nil.  I don't think either of
>> those variables, especially `gnus-registry-ignored-groups', ever had
>> that format.  Can you check?

TH> I'm pretty sure it had that format, where t meant ignore matching groups
TH> and nil meant don't ignore.

TH> Oh, and the docs also use that format:

TH> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Setup") ]
TH> |      (setq
TH> |       gnus-registry-split-strategy 'majority
TH> |       gnus-registry-ignored-groups '(("nntp" t)
TH> |                                      ("nnrss" t)
TH> |                                      ("spam" t)
TH> |                                      ("train" t))
TH> |       gnus-registry-max-entries 500000
TH> |       ;; this is the default
TH> |       gnus-registry-track-extra '(sender subject))
TH> `----

TH> I'm totally fine with having that variable as a list of regexps, as I
TH> see no reason for saying ("foo" nil).  So it's just a question of you
TH> want to make an incompatible change...

Ah.  It's a group/topic parameter, that's why it has that form, and why
I didn't see it when I did git diff against older gnus-registry.el
versions.  Sorry about that.  I made the changes so the default is given
in gnus.el and it should work OK now.  You can still set it to a list of
regexes.

Thanks
Ted