From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: how gnus-parameter works when several regexps match
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:26:27 +0100	[thread overview]

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

first of all, till some months ago, there was a difference in the
handling of (foo . bar) parameters and (foo val) variables.  In fact,
one of them would override values from groups matched before and the
others did not.  Lars fixed that some time ago, so you should be sure
that your Gnus version is pretty new.

> But, it doesn't work for me (trademark. It's a long story between Gnus
> and me, you know).
>
> For example doing this:
>
>     (setq gnus-parameters '(
>           ("nnimap\\+foo:INBOX"
>             (gcc-self . t)
>             (posting-style
>               (name "toto")
>               (address "titi@foo.com")))
>
>            ("nnimap\\+foo"
>              (display . [not expire])
>              (gnus-large-newsgroup 1000))))
>
> In this case I expect to have name set to 'toto' and adress set to
> 'titi@foo.com' in my INBOX group. However they are not. I think they
> are set to user-full-name and user-mail-address values.

Hm, I've never tried mixing posting-styles in the gnus-parameters...

What if you swap the groups.  At least I have my posting-styles and
gnus-parameters configured starting with lax regexps (matching whole
backends, or at least servers), and following regexps match only some
groups to override some general parameters.

> They are set to the expected values only if I comment the second rule
> like the following:
>
>     (setq gnus-parameters '(
>           ("nnimap\\+foo:INBOX"
>             (gcc-self . t)
>             (posting-style
>               (name "toto")
>               (address "titi@foo.com")))))
>
> ;           ("nnimap\\+foo"
> ;             (display . [not expire])
> ;             (gnus-large-newsgroup 1000))))
> ;
>
> Do you have any idea why I get this behaviour ?

I think that pretty much looks like the issue I described at the start
of my mail.  So you probably need a newer Gnus version.

Oh, btw, gcc-ing is broken in the current gnus head.  Currently, I use
revision

  0bca1908b8a435b5ade1dbebeb9f98207e81d9c4

which works for me.

Bye,
Tassilo