* Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-02 18:49 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-01-02 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

Gmane is made searchable with the excellent xapian search engine
 http://search.gmane.org/

Would it be possible to extend nnir to do search in Gmane groups from
inside Gnus?  How much work would it be on the Gnus side?  Is there
anything that needs to be done on the xapian side?  Is there an
interface that is appropriate from searches using other applications
than web browsers?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-02 23:01 ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2010-01-02 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang writes:

> Would it be possible to extend nnir to do search in Gmane groups from
> inside Gnus?  How much work would it be on the Gnus side?

Are you aware that nnweb supports searching Gmane groups? For example,

    G w gmane RET group:emacs.gnus.general gmane search nnweb

in the group buffer yields the relevant discussion on ding in an
ephemeral group.

> Is there anything that needs to be done on the xapian side?  Is there
> an interface that is appropriate from searches using other
> applications than web browsers?

nnweb uses a special interface, but I'm afraid the discussion on ding
and the code in nnweb.el are the only publically available
"documentation".

regards,
andreas

* Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-02 23:07 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-01-02 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, gmane-discuss

On Sat, Jan 02 2010, Steinar Bang wrote:

> Gmane is made searchable with the excellent xapian search engine
>  http://search.gmane.org/
>
> Would it be possible to extend nnir to do search in Gmane groups from
> inside Gnus?  How much work would it be on the Gnus side?  Is there
> anything that needs to be done on the xapian side?  Is there an
> interface that is appropriate from searches using other applications
> than web browsers?

There is support for Gmane already.  Dunno if it still working and if
it fits your needs.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups") ]
| `G w'
|      Make an ephemeral group based on a web search
|      (`gnus-group-make-web-group').  If you give a prefix to this
|      command, make a solid group instead.  You will be prompted for the
|      search engine type and the search string.  Valid search engine
|      types include `google', `dejanews', and `gmane'.
|      [ *Note (info "(gnus)Web Searches") ]
`----

See `nnweb.el' (search for "gmane") for details.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-03 14:28   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-01-03 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

> There is support for Gmane already.  Dunno if it still working and if
> it fits your needs.

It still works, but it doesn't quite fill my needs.  I would like it to
automatically select gmane as the search engine, and add the group the
cursor is standing on to the search.

Hm... if `G G' could be bound to do this on the gmane groups, it
wouldn't really matter to me that nnweb is used rather than nnir...?

* Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-03 14:32   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-01-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Are you aware that nnweb supports searching Gmane groups? For example,

>     G w gmane RET group:emacs.gnus.general gmane search nnweb

> in the group buffer yields the relevant discussion on ding in an
> ephemeral group.

I was aware of it, and the results are like I want them to be.

But like I remember it isn't really "packaged" enough.  The command,
when performed over a gmane group in the Group buffer, should pick up
that gmane is the desired search engine, and automatically add the group
to the query.

How much elisp glue is needed here, I wonder...?

* search gnus via nnweb.el (was: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?)
@ 2010-01-03 15:34   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-01-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> There is support for Gmane already.  Dunno if it still working and if
> it fits your needs.
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups") ]
[...]
> See `nnweb.el' (search for "gmane") for details.

It works!
This is great, how could I miss this feature for so long?! Yay ;)

There is only one little difference to a normal group: The
'From' part displays the email address instead of the name here,
like this:

 . │23-Jun│ueno@unixuser.o │0.0k│  Re: Decrypt sent mails fails
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Besides that, its just like any other group.
Gnus is stunning :D

* Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-03 17:00     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-01-03 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

>> There is support for Gmane already.  Dunno if it still working and if
>> it fits your needs.

> It still works, but it doesn't quite fill my needs.  I would like it to
> automatically select gmane as the search engine, and add the group the
> cursor is standing on to the search.

Here is code bound to the (as far as I can tell) unused `G b' keys, that
will search the group under the cursor (bastardized from
gnus-group-make-web-group):

(defun gnus-group-make-gmane-search-group ()
  "Create an ephemeral nnweb group containing the results of a Gmane search."
  (interactive)
  (require 'nnweb)
  (let* ((group (message-unique-id))
	 (type "gmane")
         (gmane-group-name (car (cdr (split-string (gnus-group-group-name) ":"))))
	 (search
          (concat
           "group:" gmane-group-name " "
           (read-string
            "Search string: "
            (cons (or (car gnus-group-web-search-history) "") 0)
            'gnus-group-web-search-history)))
	 (method
	  `(nnweb ,group (nnweb-search ,search)
		  (nnweb-type ,(intern type))
		  (nnweb-ephemeral-p t))))
    (gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group
     group method t
     (cons (current-buffer)
           (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-summary-mode) 'summary 'group)))))

(defun gmane-search-group-mode-hook ()
  (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "G b")
    'gnus-group-make-gmane-search-group))
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gmane-search-group-mode-hook)

> Hm... if `G G' could be bound to do this on the gmane groups, it
> wouldn't really matter to me that nnweb is used rather than nnir...?

Well, it matters in two respects:
 - No way of finding the thread the way the nnir results do
 - Can't to followup to the group

* Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-03 17:12     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-01-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

>> There is support for Gmane already.  Dunno if it still working and if
>> it fits your needs.

> It still works,

Or, rather "it seems to still be working"...?

It uses "http://search.gmane.org/nov.php" rather than the
"http://search.gmane.org/" suggested in the HTML examples in
http://search.gmane.org/

I don't know if that is an issue...?

* Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
@ 2010-01-07 23:08       ` Olly Betts
From: Olly Betts @ 2010-01-07 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

On 2010-01-03, Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:
> Or, rather "it seems to still be working"...?
>
> It uses "http://search.gmane.org/nov.php" rather than the
> "http://search.gmane.org/" suggested in the HTML examples in
> http://search.gmane.org/
>
> I don't know if that is an issue...?

No, that's deliberate - nov.php returns results in a NOV-like format.

Cheers,
    Olly