From: jidanni@jidanni.org
To: tzz@lifelogs.com
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: nnrss slow [was: switch to another window while gnus is busy]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:34:18 +0800	[thread overview]

TZ> There's a discussion about adding multithreading to Emacs in the
TZ> emacs-devel mailing list.  You can voice your support for that work or
TZ> contribute to it.  Without multithreading Gnus must be synchronous.  See
TZ> some posts, including mine, in that thread listing reasons.
OK, looks complex.

TZ> What exactly is slow for you?  Obviously we all have our specific Gnus
TZ> setups, so I think it's useful to find the slow spots that affect all
TZ> users, not just the developers.

OK, only nnrss of course. And it's not really the network part. Before
it starts its HTTP requests, just look at the CPU meter! With the
following the rss fetching is isolated, proving nnrss is the culprit
munching the CPU meter.

(defun jidanni-gnus-group-get-new-rss-news()
  "Sorry attempt to seperate out painful RSS fetching."
  (let ((gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups 5))
    (gnus-group-get-new-news)))
(define-key gnus-group-mode-map "v"
  (lambda ()
    (interactive)
    (jidanni-gnus-group-get-new-rss-news)))

Anyway I was thinking of a batch job: once a day run
$ emacs -f nnrss-generate-download-script|sh
which would dynamically reflect my current nnrss groups. However one
finds that one needs to have already ran nnrss, else
nnrss-generate-download-script will only make three lines of headers.