* Disposition-Notification-To acks
@ 2007-11-16  1:13 jidanni
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jidanni @ 2007-11-16  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gentlemen, the Taiwan Power Company has turned off my e-bill account
because gnus doesn't acknowledge the Disposition-Notification-To
headers they send.

They could have gone further and canceled my electricity -- meaning no
more messages from me for you to read. Then where would you all be?
Running around like chickens with your heads cut off, I'm sure.

For now I will do
;;Be sure we are very aware of Disposition-Notification requests
;;though we can only respond manually at present.
(add-hook
 'gnus-startup-hook
 '(lambda ()
    (require 'gnus-art)
    (setq gnus-visible-headers
	  (concat "^Disposition-Notification-To:\\|"
		  gnus-visible-headers))
    (setq gnus-header-face-alist
	  (cons '("Disposition-Notification-To:"
		  gnus-summary-cancelled ;vivid
		  gnus-summary-cancelled)
		gnus-header-face-alist))))

Sure, there is message-insert-disposition-notification-to to insert
them, but no facility to respond to them.

MB> for Gnus to automatically send a reply to the message saying...

Or a variable that one could set to ask "This message asks for
Disposition Notification, shall we? [yn?]". (('always,'ask,'never,
'warn-only)on sender regexp alist).

* Re: Disposition-Notification-To acks
@ 2007-11-16  7:17 ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2007-11-16  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Gentlemen, the Taiwan Power Company has turned off my e-bill account
> because gnus doesn't acknowledge the Disposition-Notification-To
> headers they send.

Is it gnus' job to respond to them? I believe that it is the
responsibility of the MTA making the local delivery (ie the one from
which gnus fetches mail) to respond to Disposition-Notification-To
headers.

* Re: Disposition-Notification-To acks
@ 2007-11-16 10:03   ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2007-11-16 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Graham Murray <graham@gmurray.org.uk> writes:
> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>
>> Gentlemen, the Taiwan Power Company has turned off my e-bill account
>> because gnus doesn't acknowledge the Disposition-Notification-To
>> headers they send.
>
> Is it gnus' job to respond to them? I believe that it is the
> responsibility of the MTA making the local delivery (ie the one from
> which gnus fetches mail) to respond to Disposition-Notification-To
> headers.

Nope, it's a MUA thing.  Quote from RFC3798:

<quote>
2.1.  The Disposition-Notification-To Header

   A request for the receiving user agent to issue message disposition
   notifications is made by placing a Disposition-Notification-To header
   into the message.
</quote>

However, the bug in this case is cleary on the Taiwan Power Company
side, since the quoted section continues

<quote>
   The presence of a Disposition-Notification-To header in a message is
   merely a request for an MDN.  The recipients' user agents are always
   free to silently ignore such a request.
</quote>

So Gnus is behaving correct by default.

Bjørn
--
Don't you realise that you think that I was the Pope in a previous
life

* Re: Disposition-Notification-To acks
@ 2007-11-17 12:11 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-17 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, Nov 16 2007, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Sure, there is message-insert-disposition-notification-to to insert
> them, but no facility to respond to them.

If someone would like to implement it properly (conforming to RFC
3798), fine.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Disposition-Notification-To acks
@ 2007-11-17 14:23 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-11-17 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
> Gentlemen, the Taiwan Power Company has turned off my e-bill account
> because gnus doesn't acknowledge the Disposition-Notification-To
> headers they send.

That's a joke, right?

Do other MUAs actually respond automatically to that header?  I hope not
many, as it would only encourage idiots to start relying on it.

-Miles

--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?

* Re: Disposition-Notification-To acks
@ 2007-11-17 16:06   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-17 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Nov 17 2007, Miles Bader wrote:

> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>> Gentlemen, the Taiwan Power Company has turned off my e-bill account
>> because gnus doesn't acknowledge the Disposition-Notification-To
>> headers they send.
>
> That's a joke, right?
>
> Do other MUAs actually respond automatically to that header?

Outlook does it if some option is set (I don't know the default
value).  Thunderbird also has an option for it, or was it for
"Return-Receipt-To"?

> I hope not many, as it would only encourage idiots to start relying
> on it.

It's also nice for spammers to verify the address. ;-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Disposition-Notification-To acks
@ 2007-11-17 18:55   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-11-17 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Gentlemen, the Taiwan Power Company has turned off my e-bill account
>> because gnus doesn't acknowledge the Disposition-Notification-To
>> headers they send.

MB> That's a joke, right?

(Chinese:)
http://wapp3.taipower.com.tw/taipower/bin/cusQryMail/cusQryMail_r.jsp?MsgNo=&email=jidanni@jidanni.org&Type=1#

For this message that you are reading, I have used
message-insert-disposition-notification-to (C-c M-n) and also added a
Key: header, as Taipower does.

Assuming those headers make it to this list, perhaps a user of some
more advanced MUA could allow it to act on this message so I can see
if the result matches http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3798.html and base
any future handcrafted acknowledgements to Taipower on it.