Maciek Pasternacki writes: > I use No Gnus (CVS checkout now from a few days ago) on GNU Emacs 22 > (fresh checkout too). Some time ago my primary Usenet server > crashed and was reinstalled, and article numbers were lost. From > that time on whatever I do with Gnus to rehash article numbers, it > doesn't see new articles when offline. I.e. I start up Gnus, see all > groups on native server caught up (no new articles) (on other NNTP > servers I do see other articles, so do I get mail via nnmail). When > after some time I hit `g', Gnus gets new articles -- but only those > that were sent after Gnus was started. I can use groups normally > while Gnus is on; then I quit Emacs and when I start Gnus again, > there are no unread articles on all native groups (even if I left > some unread ones when quitting Gnus -- those are caught-up too). I've had similar problems lately, using a CVS snapshot from 2005.10.02. I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything, saving everything important from my homedir first, especially ~/News. After doing so, none of my gmane groups were showing new messages as unread, though I could still browse them. Adding (nntp-marks-is-evil t) to the options for gnus-select-method seems to make things work. I had tried moving my ~/News/marks folder somewhere else, but this caused Gnus to throw the following error when starting up. Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil) time-less-p((17205 37218) nil) nntp-marks-changed-p("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" "localhost") nntp-request-update-info("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" ("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" 3 ((1 . 31)) ((seen ...))) "localhost") gnus-get-unread-articles(nil) gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil) byte-code("[snip]") gnus-1(nil nil nil) gnus(nil) call-interactively(gnus) execute-extended-command(nil) call-interactively(execute-extended-command) -- Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/ Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp /` |\ | | | IRC: mwolson on freenode.net: #hcoop, #muse, #PurdueLUG |_] | \| |_| Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net