From: ignotus@freemail.hu
Subject: Re: Gnus is very slow in displaying headers.
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:50:22 +0200	[thread overview]

> I noticed that even when I enter a group with a relatively small
> amount of headers - in my case, 12000 for comp.lang.lisp, it takes
> Gnus a very long time to thread/load them

[...]

Yes, the sad fact is that Gnus is that slow and it doesn't matter what
you do you can't bring it up to the ,,normal speed'' (which means under
1 second), not even close to it.

Heh, I still remember my horror when I first saw the speed of Gnus after
using Mutt / slrn.  With Mutt/slrn threading / displaying a message etc
takes no time, you have all the time for yourself to actually *read* the
messages and it feels good.

I tried to do that with Gnus, trimmed down all the features I thought I
didn't absolutely need etc but of course it was still extremely slow.
But I sticked with it because it was so much more configurable, I saw at
the time that with an Emacs based software the limit is my imagination,
while with Mutt / slrn / etc the limit is the configuration options the
developers decide to impelement.

So as my elisp knowledge grew I customized Gnus bit by bit to my tastes,
and of course Gnus became slower and slower but I was able to subscribe
to more and more newsgroups / mailing lists.

You may know already what happened to me.  While mutt / slrn maximizes
the time you have for reading by not ,,interrupting you'' with long
computations, Gnus minimizes the time you will need to read the messages
by having so much ,,time-saving'' features (adapting scoring is a
godsend).  And after you experienced both, I can assure you that the
latter feels better. ;)

So the moral of the story is that while Gnus is slow, following the same
volume of messages with mutt / slrn isn't possible for me because it
would take so much of my time.

And for those who don't understand why would someone in his right mind
read 12k messages: please never forget about the faceless, voiceless and
lifeless masses of ,,Usenet junkies''. :-)

--
...sutongi tti olleh
                        If you are smart enough to know that you're not smart