* Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-13 17:57 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-13 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've now ported the nnml marks code to nntp.  Gnus will now probably
eat your mail for breakfast, or something.

Please don't hesitate to point out what I did wrong.

Now I've just got to find out how to use them ;-)

The marks code is in need of refactoring, I think.  Now we have
similar code in nnml, nnfolder, and nntp.  Not good.

I also found that the "make a directory name suitable for this group"
code is present multiple times in the Gnus code -- this should be
fixed imvho.  It is also a lot of work, though.

Kai

* Re: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-13 22:25 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-13 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've now ported the nnml marks code to nntp.  Gnus will now probably
> eat your mail for breakfast, or something.

> Please don't hesitate to point out what I did wrong.

[...]

The byte-compiler reported two warnings:

While compiling nntp-marks-changed-p in file /Work/gnus/lisp/nntp.el:
  ** reference to free variable server
While compiling nntp-save-marks in file /Work/gnus/lisp/nntp.el:
  ** nntp-possibly-create-directory called with 1 argument, but requires 2

I don't know whether those are serious, so I'm hesitating to
install it. :)
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-14  3:07   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-14  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Even if I set nntp-marks-is-evil as t, it takes a long time to
fetch new mails.  I'm using nnml and subscribing to a lot of
nntp groups.  I haven't investigated yet what is wrong.  Sorry.

--

@ 2004-05-14  9:20   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-14  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> The byte-compiler reported two warnings:
>
> While compiling nntp-marks-changed-p in file /Work/gnus/lisp/nntp.el:
>   ** reference to free variable server
> While compiling nntp-save-marks in file /Work/gnus/lisp/nntp.el:
>   ** nntp-possibly-create-directory called with 1 argument, but requires 2
>
> I don't know whether those are serious, so I'm hesitating to
> install it. :)

I got an error.  So I tweaked a bit.  Hm.  Is it installed?  Maybe not
yet.  Just a second...

Okay, now it's committed.  Better now?

From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-14  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Even if I set nntp-marks-is-evil as t, it takes a long time to
> fetch new mails.  I'm using nnml and subscribing to a lot of
> nntp groups.  I haven't investigated yet what is wrong.  Sorry.

Whee.  I'm somewhat surprised that nntp-marks affects nnml.

Kai

* Re: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-14 10:34       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-14 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Okay, now it's committed.  Better now?

Thanks.  However, it still warned as:

>> While compiling nntp-marks-changed-p in file /Work/gnus/lisp/nntp.el:
>>   ** reference to free variable server

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Even if I set nntp-marks-is-evil as t, it takes a long time to
>> fetch new mails.  I'm using nnml and subscribing to a lot of
>> nntp groups.  I haven't investigated yet what is wrong.  Sorry.

> Whee.  I'm somewhat surprised that nntp-marks affects nnml.

There is no problem if there is no nntp groups (i.e., using
gnus-no-server) or all nntp connections are open and active.
However, if one or more connections are closed (because of
server's timeout), Gnus seems to try to open those connections.
Here is a backtrace gotten when I typed C-g while getting new
mails using `1 g':

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  signal(quit nil)
[...]
  nntp-open-connection(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
[...]
  nntp-possibly-change-group("gnus.ding" "quimby")
  nntp-request-update-info("gnus.ding" ("nntp+quimby:gnus.ding" 4 ((1 . 52959))...
  gnus-get-unread-articles(1)
  gnus-group-get-new-news(1)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-get-new-news)

The group level for all the nntp+quimby newsgroups is 4.
--

@ 2004-05-14 11:52         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-14 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Okay, now it's committed.  Better now?
>
> Thanks.  However, it still warned as:
>
>>> While compiling nntp-marks-changed-p in file /Work/gnus/lisp/nntp.el:
>>>   ** reference to free variable server

Okay.  Another try...

>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>>> Even if I set nntp-marks-is-evil as t, it takes a long time to
>>> fetch new mails.  I'm using nnml and subscribing to a lot of
>>> nntp groups.  I haven't investigated yet what is wrong.  Sorry.
>
>> Whee.  I'm somewhat surprised that nntp-marks affects nnml.
>
> There is no problem if there is no nntp groups (i.e., using
> gnus-no-server) or all nntp connections are open and active.
> However, if one or more connections are closed (because of
> server's timeout), Gnus seems to try to open those connections.
> Here is a backtrace gotten when I typed C-g while getting new
> mails using `1 g':

I've now removed the call to nntp-possibly-change-group.  Better?

I'll test more when I'm back at home.  Sorry for all the trouble.

Kai

* Re: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-14 12:18           ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-14 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've now removed the call to nntp-possibly-change-group.  Better?

Thanks.  But Gnus still connects to foreign news servers when
fecthing new mails:

Checking new mail...
Checking new news...
nnml: Reading incoming mail from imap...
imap: Connecting to xxxx...
imap: Connecting with STARTTLS...done
Waiting for response from xxxx...done
imap: Authenticating to `xxxx' using `login'...
imap: Plaintext authentication...
imap: Authenticating to `xxxx' using `login'...done
nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Opening nntp server on quimby...done
Opening nntp server on gmane...done
Checking new news...done
Checking new mail...done

Where xxxx is the local mail server.

> I'll test more when I'm back at home.  Sorry for all the trouble.

Please never mind.  I'm enjoying it. :)
Excuse me, I may be unable to deal with it till next week.
--

@ 2004-05-18 13:15 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-18 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 13 2004, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> I've now ported the nnml marks code to nntp.  Gnus will now probably
> eat your mail for breakfast, or something.
>
> Please don't hesitate to point out what I did wrong.
>
> Now I've just got to find out how to use them ;-)

I noticed that Gnus didn't get the read/unread articles right.  I had
to force re-reading ~/.newsrc to get them right.  I'm not sure if I
understand how they are supposed to work.  Therefore it's hard for me
to debug this problem or give a more precise description.

Then I set `nntp-marks-is-evil' to t.  But Gnus still created
~/News/marks/SERVER/GROUP/ directories (but without .marks files in
the directories).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-18 13:54   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-18 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Then I set `nntp-marks-is-evil' to t.  But Gnus still created
> ~/News/marks/SERVER/GROUP/ directories (but without .marks files in
> the directories).

Just commited a change to CVS.  Does it work?

Kai

* Re: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-18 14:35     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-18 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 18 2004, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
>> Then I set `nntp-marks-is-evil' to t.  But Gnus still created
>> ~/News/marks/SERVER/GROUP/ directories (but without .marks files in
>> the directories).
>
> Just commited a change to CVS.  Does it work?

Yes, `nntp-marks-is-evil' seems to work now.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
@ 2004-05-19  1:00             ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-19  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks.  But Gnus still connects to foreign news servers when
> fecthing new mails:

I found why does it occur.  After the recent nntp.el change, the
following form returns non-nil.

(gnus-check-backend-function 'request-update-info 'nntp)

And gnus-get-unread-articles calls gnus-get-unread-articles-in-group
even if the level for those foreign groups are higher than the
specified value (I'm using `1 g' for fecthing new mails, the
level for foreign groups is 4).

I've fixed the problem with the following ChangeLog entry:

2004-05-19  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>

	* gnus-start.el (gnus-get-unread-articles): Do nothing for foreign
	groups if the group level is higher than the specified value.

Regards,
--

@ 2004-05-20 23:50               ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-20 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've fixed the problem with the following ChangeLog entry:

> 2004-05-19  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>

> 	* gnus-start.el (gnus-get-unread-articles): Do nothing for foreign
> 	groups if the group level is higher than the specified value.

Oops, it causes another problem.  If Gnus is started with the
gnus-no-server command and a user types the L key, foreign
groups won't appear in the Group buffer.  I will look for
another solution...
--

@ 2004-05-21  0:34                 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-21  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 2004-05-19  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>

>> 	* gnus-start.el (gnus-get-unread-articles): Do nothing for foreign
>> 	groups if the group level is higher than the specified value.

> Oops, it causes another problem.  If Gnus is started with the
> gnus-no-server command and a user types the L key, foreign
> groups won't appear in the Group buffer.  I will look for
> another solution...

Should be fixed.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>