From: Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Subject: Sensible nnmail-split-fancy filters
Date: 08 Nov 1999 14:13:20 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi all:

A concern with my setup of nnmail-split-fancy stuff. I would like a
mail, which is coming as a response from a mailing list, go into the
mailing list folder. However, most people use a mailreader with lesser
intelligence than gnus, and send follow-ups cc-ed to the author(s) as
well. And so it starts in the beginning of a thread, and that "cc"
list grows almost indefinitely.

The problem, the way I understand it, is that when a person replies
within a mailing list with "Reply to all", I get two copies of the
message. Then gnus deletes one of them, because they are duplicates,
and keeps the first one to arrive. Which in most cases would be the
one sent to me directly.

To avoid that, I use something like this:
,-----
| ("delivered-to\\|cc" "freebsd-questions" "mail.FreeBSD-Questions")
| (any "owner-rhua@FootPrints.net" "mail.RHUA")
| ;; *lots* of other stuff, and in the end:
| (to "\\(genkin\\|agenkin\\)@\\(sympatico\\|utoronto\\|home\\|canada\\)\\.c\\(a\\|om\\)"
|     "mail.Private")
`-----

I believe such usage is not awfully efficient, and often I have to
wait longer than I would like to for the mail to be sorted. Also, the
first kind of setup works only in some cases (i.e. won't work if
mailing lists's address would be in To: header. And "any" seems the
least efficient.

So, are there any tricks you guys use?  Just wondering...

Also, is there a nice tutorial for emacs's regexp's?
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who