* [0.96] Print with faces or not -- how to decide?
@ 1999-09-01  6:47 Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 1999-09-01  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

GNUS-SUMMARY-PRINT-ARTICLE uses PS-PRINT-BUFFER-WITH-FACES.  This
fails with at least Emacs 20.3 on tty.  ps-print eventually ends up
calling X-COLOR-VALUES, which is defined (it only checks for it
being defined), and that dies with "Non X-frame" message or
something like that.  I thought to write a fix for this but after
trying few approaches for deciding whether to print with faces or
not, I finally got myself convinced that I don't know what I
/really/ should test for.  Anyone?

--
Hannu

* Re: [0.96] Print with faces or not -- how to decide?
@ 1999-09-01  8:20 ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-09-01  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi> writes:

> something like that.  I thought to write a fix for this but after
> trying few approaches for deciding whether to print with faces or
> not, I finally got myself convinced that I don't know what I
> /really/ should test for.  Anyone?

IMHO: Nothing. Fix the problem in ps-print. XEmacs can already handles
faces everywhere and presumable that other Emacs will be able to soon.
It seems silly to code policy like that into Gnus.

Jan

* Re: [0.96] Print with faces or not -- how to decide?
@ 1999-09-01 16:39   ` Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 1999-09-01 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

| IMHO: Nothing. Fix the problem in ps-print. XEmacs can already handles
| faces everywhere and presumable that other Emacs will be able to soon.
| It seems silly to code policy like that into Gnus.

Well, I thought it from this point of view too and I agree, but I
was actually hoping if this work-around (leading pgnus working with
20.3 (, 20.4 and 20.5 too? i.e. those before the new display
engine?)) could be embedded to default printing method (something
that there isn't currently) determination, i.e. with faces or not.
That is, I thought it would be reasonable to assume that one might
want to print without faces even if printing with faces worked too
(from the point of view of Gnus, ps-print and Emacs, not
neccessarily printer's or whatever the target of the output is).
Even if it is a work-around, it would be small hit to Gnus' side
(compared to benefits) if there is some more or less fuzzy logic to
determine whether to print with faces or not by default anyway.

--
Hannu