* Gnus stopped reading mailbox
@ 1999-06-20 14:14 Gerald Preissler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerald Preissler @ 1999-06-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I just switched distributions (from SuSE to Debian) and I wanted to take my
Gnus with all old mails and stuff with me. So I copied the ~/Mail and ~/News
folders and my .newsrc.eld to my new home directory. This seems to have worked,
as I can read my old mails and news just fine. But I cannot bring Gnus to read
new mails from my mailbox, /var/spool/mail/jerry . There is no error message or
anything, Gnus just starts up without reading the new mail.

I tried this minimal .gnus :
;; where to look for news & mail
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))

/var/spool/mail/jerry exists, I am the owner, and it has permissions 660. And
yes, there are mails in it.

Any advice?

thanks
	Jerry

  --
And now for something completly different...

* Re: Gnus stopped reading mailbox
@ 1999-06-20 15:58 ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 1999-06-20 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerald Preissler <Gerald.Preissler@gmx.de> writes:

> I tried this minimal .gnus : ;; where to look for news & mail (setq
> gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost")) (setq
> gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))
>
> /var/spool/mail/jerry exists, I am the owner, and it has permissions
> 660. And yes, there are mails in it.
>
> Any advice?

What is the value of `nnmail-spool-file'?  It is possible that it is
pointing to the wrong place. Alternatively one's supposed to use the
variable `mail-sources' in pgnus now to specify exactly where the mail
comes from.

* Re: Gnus stopped reading mailbox
@ 1999-06-20 16:05 ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 1999-06-20 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

        Have you looked at which movemail is being used, and what the
 permissions are on that? Secondly, are you using the prepackaged
 pgnus? I am the maintainer of the Debian gnus package, and the potato
 version stands at pgnus 0.84 (potato is the unstable Debian version).

        pgnus "works just fine for me"® ;-(

        manoj
--
 "We've got everyone convinced except the people who have to make the
 decision." name withheld by request

* Re: Gnus stopped reading mailbox
@ 1999-06-29 12:38 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-06-29 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerald Preissler <Gerald.Preissler@gmx.de> writes:

> I just switched distributions (from SuSE to Debian)

Watch out for the value of `nnmail-spool-file'.  I've seen Debian
XEmacs packages fucking up this variable.