* sending mail (!) thru ssh
@ 1998-03-30 14:13 Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-03-30 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I really like the gnus' feature to send and retrieve news via a ssh
connection. Could a similar thing be implemented for mail? In my case,
I'm not allowed to connect to the mail server from my
home-machine. However, I can ssh to my university machine and from
there on to the SMTP port of the mail server. Is there any way to
simple way to use something like this in gnus?

Thanks,
Stefan.

--
Stefan Waldherr                  fax +49 431 8058 136
                               e-Mail swa@cs.cmu.edu

* Re: sending mail (!) thru ssh
@ 1998-03-30 14:39 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Stefan> I really like the gnus' feature to send and retrieve news
  Stefan> via a ssh connection. Could a similar thing be implemented
  Stefan> for mail? In my case, I'm not allowed to connect to the mail
  Stefan> server from my home-machine. However, I can ssh to my
  Stefan> university machine and from there on to the SMTP port of the
  Stefan> mail server.

You can set the variable sendmail-program to a program that does what
you want.

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: sending mail (!) thru ssh
@ 1998-03-30 14:48   ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-03-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> You can set the variable sendmail-program to a program that
  Kai> does what you want.

Neato. But what is this program supposed to do? It should ssh to the
machine at the university and establish a connection between my home
machine and the SMTP port of the mail server (that I can only reach
on-campus). Am I right here? Is there a script/program out there that
can do this?

Thanks,
Stefan.

--

@ 1998-03-30 18:35     ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1998-03-30 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

>   Kai> You can set the variable sendmail-program to a program that
>   Kai> does what you want.
>
> Neato. But what is this program supposed to do? It should ssh to the
> machine at the university and establish a connection between my home
> machine and the SMTP port of the mail server (that I can only reach
> on-campus). Am I right here? Is there a script/program out there that
> can do this?

If you don't mind some manual work, why not start something like this
from a shell:

	ssh -L25:campus.mail.server:25 campus.machine

And then simply set

	(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "localhost")
	(setq smtpmail-smtp-service "smtp")

If you want, you could use a non-standard port number too. This is how
I do all my tunneling.

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Q:	What do you say to a Puerto Rican in a three-piece suit?

* Re: sending mail (!) thru ssh
@ 1998-03-31 16:21       ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-03-31 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

  David> If you don't mind some manual work, why not start something
  David> like this from a shell:

  David> 	ssh -L25:campus.mail.server:25 campus.machine

This looks promising, but will the ssh connection survive a PPP link
that goes up and down?

Thanks,
Stefan.
--

@ 1998-03-31 18:19         ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 1998-03-31 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,
	Yes, ssh seems to be quite robust that way. I too use diald,
 and have a fairly aggressive pull down timeouts, so i often have
 remote seession on when diald pulls the connection down. Typing in
 the window reconnects, and all I have is a delay (don't know what
 happens if the remote shell generates data in the meanwhile).

	manoj
--
 Charity: a thing that begins at home and usually stays there.

* Re: sending mail (!) thru ssh
@ 1998-03-31 20:13           ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-03-31 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
> Yes, ssh seems to be quite robust that way.

Unless you have a dynamically assigned IP, surely?
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: sending mail (!) thru ssh
@ 1998-03-31 21:32             ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 1998-03-31 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,
>>"Lars" == Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@mjolner.dk> writes:

Lars> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
Manoj> Yes, ssh seems to be quite robust that way.
Lars> Unless you have a dynamically assigned IP, surely?

	*Blush*. Yes, that is true. I guess in case of dynamic IP, the
 issue of reconnecting the session is moot, since one is, in effect,
 on a different machine ...

	manoj
--
 What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to do it.