From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:42:50 -0800	[thread overview]

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>>> Maybe related,
>>>
>>> People have sometimes been annoyed I don't keep the e-mails
>>> in a CC when I reply on mailing lists, I have never
>>> understood why this doesn't happen. Like in this case,
>>> I suppose these
>>>
>>>   <eric@ ... net>
>>>   <ding@ ... org>
>>>
>>> should appear in the CC? But the only headers I see after
>>> `gnus-article-followup-with-original' are
>>>
>>> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>>> Subject: Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to
>>> forward all original headers
>>> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@ ... org>
>>> Gcc: nnml:mail.sent
>>>
>>> I have `message-forward-ignored-headers' at its original
>>> value, and also tried `message-forward-included-headers'
>>> both at its original value and now nil, inspired by
>>> this post.
>>
>> This has to do with replies, not forwarding. This stuff is
>> governed by the "wideness" of the reply, not the headers.
>
> I use `gnus-article-followup-with-original', should you use
> something else?

When you reply via newsgroup posting (which is implied by the
"followup"), then headers don't come into play, only the "newsgroups"
header, and the message is sent via NNTP to those groups. There's no CC
to anybody else.

If you reply via mail, then you will send an email to everyone in the
To/CC/BCC headers, and there's where you'll see commands with "reply"
and "(very) wide" in the name.

It only gets a bit confusing because if you reply to an article that
originally arrived via NNTP, often the email goes to an email address
that can transport the message over to the NNTP newsgroup, so it looks
like you did both a followup (to the group) and a reply (to individual
posters). The whole thing gets a little strange.