Hi all, I've been thinking about how to do this for a while, and think I've got an okay approach. The Gnus registry registers everything by default, which slows down summary buffer creation, and also saving Gnus. The only time you'd actually want everything registered is if you're splitting using `gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent', which I have to imagine is a minority of users. The attached patch lets you change this behavior so the registry only creates and saves entries that you have made manually, either by setting a mark on an article, or via some other library. It does this with a new defcustom, `gnus-registry-register-all-p', which I'd like to default to nil. If this is nil, `gnus-registry-register-message-ids' won't do anything. The patch also adds an optional NO-CREATE argument to `gnus-registry-get-or-make-entry', to tell it to only get, not make. Lastly it has `gnus-registry-get-id-key' set that flag to t, so getting an id key doesn't create a new entry (while setting an id key does). This last change makes everything else work correctly (spooling and handling actions) but is also a fairly fundamental change, so I'm hoping others will look at it closely. If this is okay, there's also quite a few manual/docs/comments/NEWS tweaks to make. Please help test! Eric