* Gnus backend for GitHub/GitLab?
@ 2019-11-19 22:11 Adam Sjøgren
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-11-19 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Watching this video about Magit Forge:

 · https://cestlaz.github.io/post/using-emacs-62-magit-forge/

It hit me that accessing comments on GitHub/GitLab seems like an obvious
candidate for a Gnus backend.

  * GitHub/GitLab-instance: a Gnus server
  * Each project you're interested in: a subscribed group
  * Each issue: a top-level article
  * Each comment: replies to issues/other comments
  * Label, State ...: headers that can be edited

I guess Pull/Merge Requests could also be articles in the group, only
with other default headers shown.

So what I am thinking of is, say, nntp+gitlab.com:bashrc2.epicyon as the
group, for instance, with articles:

 [Klaus Alexander Seistrup] User and status links: reorganisation?
 [Alex Schroeder          ] System load
     [Bob Mottram            ]
         [Alex Schroeder         ]
             [Bob Mottram            ]
                 [Bob Mottram            ]
                    [Bob Mottram            ]
                        [Alex Schroeder         ]
                            [Bob Mottram            ]
                               [Bob Mottram            ]

(Mapped from https://gitlab.com/bashrc2/epicyon/issues)

Something like that.

Closing an issue could be editing the root-article and updating a
"Status:" header from "open" to "closed". Changing labels would be
editing the "Keywords:" header. Deleting would be cancelling the
article. Creating a new issue: posting a new article. Commenting
following up.

For public projects you could use scoring to ignore comments from
trolls. Or bulk delete spam.

I think Gnus would be better suited to this than Magit Forge. Well, if
you're using Gnus anyway, anyway.

If I had a backend like this, I could turn off notification emails from
GitLab at work, and I would never have to use the web-interface.

(Well, Gnus would have to support Kerberos in web-requests, so I could
see the images in the issues, but except for that.)

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Gnus all the things!

What do you think?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I wish *I* was a tiger!"                                     Adam Sjøgren
 "A common lament."                                       asjo@koldfront.dk