* Saving all the messages in a summary buffer
@ 2017-08-23 21:09 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2017-08-23 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

Seems like I should know how to do this, but I don’t. And my attempts
to search for an answer weren’t fruitful.

Suppose I have a bunch of messages in a summary buffer, for example,
the results of a gnus-group-make-nnir-group doing a search.

I expected to be able to process mark them all and then save them all
as a single mail file of some sort. But the various things I tried
either didn’t work or prompted me for the filename over and over
again.

Anyone got a spare clue?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Simplicity is always a virtue.--Edward
http://nwalsh.com/            | Abbey

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Saving all the messages in a summary buffer
@ 2017-08-24 14:57 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-08-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I expected to be able to process mark them all and then save them all
> as a single mail file of some sort. But the various things I tried
> either didn’t work or prompted me for the filename over and over
> again.

One way to do it would be to create a group using a single file backend,
process mark the articles like you did and "B c" the articles to the new
group.

I haven't done this from an nnir result buffer, and haven't done it with
a single file backend as a target.

But I have done it (ages ago), copying from nntp to nnimap and nnml, and
(more recently) from nnimap to nnimap (both with the same server and
between two different servers).

* Re: Saving all the messages in a summary buffer
@ 2017-08-25  1:39   ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2017-08-25  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On August 24, 2017 10:57:09 AM EDT, Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>> I expected to be able to process mark them all and then save them all
>> as a single mail file of some sort. But the various things I tried
>> either didn’t work or prompted me for the filename over and over
>> again.
>
>One way to do it would be to create a group using a single file
>backend,
>process mark the articles like you did and "B c" the articles to the
>new
>group.

Isn't there still a save article to mbox function that respects the process mark?  Sorry, I'm on vacation with only my phone for email so can't check myself.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Saving all the messages in a summary buffer
@ 2017-08-26  0:13 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-08-26  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Seems like I should know how to do this, but I don’t. And my attempts
> to search for an answer weren’t fruitful.
>
> Suppose I have a bunch of messages in a summary buffer, for example,
> the results of a gnus-group-make-nnir-group doing a search.
>
> I expected to be able to process mark them all and then save them all
> as a single mail file of some sort. But the various things I tried
> either didn’t work or prompted me for the filename over and over
> again.
>
> Anyone got a spare clue?

Does doing `Ctrl-o'  then after the first prompt for filename, just hold
down the <ENTER> key, not work?

* Re: Saving all the messages in a summary buffer
@ 2017-08-26  0:33     ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-08-26  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Isn't there still a save article to mbox function that respects the
> process mark?  Sorry, I'm on vacation with only my phone for email so
> can't check myself.

O m will save process marked articles to an mbox file, prompting for the
filename, and then clearing the process marks.

It's not exactly ideal as it saves everything, every shred of every
header, but I thank the originator of this thread. This is a feature
I've long searched for, and I even started to code my own, but happily
there is no need.

Finding things in Gnus isn't always easy!

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: Saving all the messages in a summary buffer
@ 2017-08-26  2:19       ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-08-26  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I should have said, there are many options, see section 3.16 of the Gnus manual.
--

@ 2017-08-30 17:07       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2017-08-30 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:
> O m will save process marked articles to an mbox file, prompting for the
> filename, and then clearing the process marks.

If I set a bunch of process marks and then run O m, it may work, but
it asks for the filename for each message.

> It's not exactly ideal as it saves everything, every shred of every
> header, but I thank the originator of this thread. This is a feature

I’m happy to fix up the results, if necessary.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe to
http://nwalsh.com/            | the pitcher. The pitcher fell on the

@ 2017-08-30 19:53         ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-08-30 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

Set gnus-prompt-before-saving to t and you will only be prompted once.

BTW you might prefer 'O f' to 'O m' depending on your use case.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Sent via Linux Mint 17.