* A command to break threads
@ 2015-11-21 11:32 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-11-21 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm looking for a way to break a thread by making a child of some
message go in a thread of its own like the following.

ven. 06│3.0k│    │Someone                ║ ┏●  Some message
ven. 06│3.4k│    │Someone else           ║ ┗━━❯  Some unrelated message
should become:
ven. 06│3.0k│    │Someone                ║ ●  Some message
ven. 06│3.4k│    │Someone else           ║ ●  Some unrelated message

If I'm not mistaken, gnus-summary-reparent-thread and
gnus-summary-reparent-children don't allow it since they only move
messages to make them children of a parent message already existing.

Julien.

* Re: A command to break threads
@ 2015-11-21 12:06 ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2015-11-21 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> If I'm not mistaken, gnus-summary-reparent-thread and
> gnus-summary-reparent-children don't allow it since they only move
> messages to make them children of a parent message already existing.

you can edit the message and remove the "references" header.

best
--
erik colson

* Re: A command to break threads
@ 2015-11-21 12:55   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-11-21 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson; +Cc: ding

Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
>> If I'm not mistaken, gnus-summary-reparent-thread and
>> gnus-summary-reparent-children don't allow it since they only move
>> messages to make them children of a parent message already existing.
>
> you can edit the message and remove the "references" header.

Thank you, that's what I've been doing. Don't you think it would be a
nice to have gnus-summary-reparent-thread do it, with a C-u prefix for
instance ?

Julien.