* Display `gnus-parameters' for the current group
@ 2015-11-11  8:26 lists.emacs.gnus
From: lists.emacs.gnus @ 2015-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

In my quest to setup Gnus, I have troubles seing all the interaction between
variables.

One of the them is `gnus-message-archive-group' vs. `gnus-parameters'. With
the help of Tassilo, I have done this (as a test):

(custom-set-variables
 '(gnus-parameters
   (,(rx "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.")
    (gcc-self "nnml+archive:sent-mails" "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items2")
    (gnus-use-scoring t)
    (subscribed . t)
    (gnus-add-to-list t))))

and my `gnus-message-archive-group' is set as:

 (setq gnus-message-archive-group
	'((if (message-news-p)
	      "misc-news"
	    "nnimap+Local:INBOX.Sent Items")))

When entering my nnimap+Local:lists.emacs.gnus group and pressing 'a', my Gcc
displays:

Gcc: "nnimap+Local:INBOX.Sent Items"

Which is not really what I expected. So my question is: how can I show the
current `gnus-parameters' in action for a particular group -ie the current.

Thank you

-- Xavier

* Re: Display `gnus-parameters' for the current group
@ 2015-11-11 20:19 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-11-11 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists.emacs.gnus; +Cc: ding

lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im writes:

> (custom-set-variables
>  '(gnus-parameters
>    (,(rx "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.")
>     (gcc-self "nnml+archive:sent-mails" "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items2")
>     (gnus-use-scoring t)
>     (subscribed . t)
>     (gnus-add-to-list t))))
>
> and my `gnus-message-archive-group' is set as:
>
>  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
> 	'((if (message-news-p)
> 	      "misc-news"
> 	    "nnimap+Local:INBOX.Sent Items")))
>
> When entering my nnimap+Local:lists.emacs.gnus group and pressing 'a',
> my Gcc displays:
>
> Gcc: "nnimap+Local:INBOX.Sent Items"
>
> Which is not really what I expected.

Why not?  You are writing a new mail, so `gnus-message-archive-group'
determines the Gcc to be that group.  And the `gnus-parameters' rule
doesn't match because the group doesn't start with
nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.

> So my question is: how can I show the current `gnus-parameters' in
> action for a particular group -ie the current.

I don't know.  I think `M-x gnus-group-edit-group-parameters RET' on a
group in *Group* only shows you the parameters you've set via this
interface (or which Gnus sets automatically) but not those from the
`gnus-parameters' variable.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Display `gnus-parameters' for the current group
@ 2015-11-11 23:09   ` lists.emacs.gnus
From: lists.emacs.gnus @ 2015-11-11 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im writes:
>
>> (custom-set-variables
>>  '(gnus-parameters
>>    (,(rx "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.")
>>     (gcc-self "nnml+archive:sent-mails" "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items2")
>>     (gnus-use-scoring t)
>>     (subscribed . t)
>>     (gnus-add-to-list t))))
>>
>> and my `gnus-message-archive-group' is set as:
>>
>>  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>> 	'((if (message-news-p)
>> 	      "misc-news"
>> 	    "nnimap+Local:INBOX.Sent Items")))
>>
>> When entering my nnimap+Local:lists.emacs.gnus group and pressing 'a',
>> my Gcc displays:
>>
>> Gcc: "nnimap+Local:INBOX.Sent Items"
>>
>> Which is not really what I expected.
>
> Why not?  You are writing a new mail, so `gnus-message-archive-group'
> determines the Gcc to be that group.  And the `gnus-parameters' rule
> doesn't match because the group doesn't start with
> nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.

Ooops. Got it. Thank you. It now works just as expected.

Thank you.

-- Xavier