* [OT ssh -Y] Attempting to start emacsclient .. unusual error?
@ 2015-01-11 14:55 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-11 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

It may just be a property of using emacs on Solaris.. there seem to be
a few of those.

I hoped to pull an running gnus session across local-lan using ssh -Y
which I do quite often on other of my lan boxes.

On a solaris box where I have done this very thing not so very long
ago I now get:

ssh -Y (Gentoo linux HOST) "emacsclient -snognus -c"
(There is an gnus session with a server named nognus running there)

  X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
  emacsclient: could not get terminal name

Anyone here ran into this?  Or espescially, have some idea what to do
about it?

In case it matters that Solaris-HOST Xsession (only one user) has had this
typed into USER's xterm `xhost +' for reasons not related to the subject
of this post.

* Re: [OT ssh -Y] Attempting to start emacsclient .. unusual error?
@ 2015-01-11 16:12 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2015-01-11 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

>   X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0

Please make sure you have xauth in your PATH on the remote system.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: [OT ssh -Y] Attempting to start emacsclient .. unusual error?
@ 2015-01-11 21:31   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-11 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>>   X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
>
> Please make sure you have xauth in your PATH on the remote system.

Probably more scientific ways but just checking with my user on remote
host with `which xauth'
  /usr/bin/xauth

Seems to indicate USER answering ssh knows about it.

* Re: [OT ssh -Y] Attempting to start emacsclient .. unusual error?
@ 2015-01-11 21:37   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-11 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>>   X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
>
> Please make sure you have xauth in your PATH on the remote system.

Seems so as reported.

running  ssh -vv -Y [...] output might be helpful I guess.

I prunned it down to just after key recognition and such:
But, at least to me, it doesn't seem very informatiive.

[...]
debug2: callback start
debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/openwin/bin/xauth  list :0.0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 1
debug2: fd 4 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: client_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: Sending command: emacsclient -snognus -c
debug2: channel 0: request exec confirm 1
debug2: callback done
debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel_input_status_confirm: type 100 id 0
X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 87380
debug2: channel_input_status_confirm: type 99 id 0
debug2: exec request accepted on channel 0
debug2: channel 0: rcvd ext data 41
emacsclient: could not get terminal name
debug2: channel 0: written 41 to efd 7
debug2: channel 0: rcvd eof
debug2: channel 0: output open -> drain
debug2: channel 0: obuf empty
debug2: channel 0: close_write
debug2: channel 0: output drain -> closed
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype eow@openssh.com reply 0
debug2: channel 0: rcvd eow
debug2: channel 0: close_read
debug2: channel 0: input open -> closed
debug2: channel 0: rcvd close
debug2: channel 0: almost dead
debug2: channel 0: gc: notify user
debug2: channel 0: gc: user detached
debug2: channel 0: send close
debug2: channel 0: is dead
debug2: channel 0: garbage collecting
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
Transferred: sent 5524, received 3176 bytes, in 0.1 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 50034.4, received 28767.1
debug1: Exit status 1

* Re: [OT ssh -Y] Attempting to start emacsclient .. unusual error?
@ 2015-01-12  3:39 ` Mike Kupfer
From: Mike Kupfer @ 2015-01-12  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

Harry Putnam wrote:

> It may just be a property of using emacs on Solaris.. there seem to be
> a few of those.

Okay, but from your description, Emacs is actually running on the Gentoo
host, though, not Solaris.  The Solaris host just has the X server.

> ssh -Y (Gentoo linux HOST) "emacsclient -snognus -c"
> (There is an gnus session with a server named nognus running there)
>
>   X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
>   emacsclient: could not get terminal name

Do other X-based commands work, e.g., "ssh -Y ... xclock" ?

> In case it matters that Solaris-HOST Xsession (only one user) has had this
> typed into USER's xterm `xhost +' for reasons not related to the subject
> of this post.

Is the "xhost +" still needed?  If not, I would try "xhost -" and see if
that somehow fixes things.  (I do not understand X internals enough to
know whether this is a likely culprit; it's just something I would try
if I were seeing the problem myself.  I would also try "ssh -X" instead
of "ssh -Y".)

Does this problem show up if you ssh in to the Gentoo host from other
hosts?

mike

* Re: [OT ssh -Y] Attempting to start emacsclient .. unusual error?
@ 2015-01-12 18:39   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-12 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Mike Kupfer <m.kupfer@acm.org> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> It may just be a property of using emacs on Solaris.. there seem to be
>> a few of those.
>
> Okay, but from your description, Emacs is actually running on the Gentoo
> host, though, not Solaris.  The Solaris host just has the X server.

Ok Ok, it was a dumb thought, plus I have done this operation from
this solaris host before... not too long ago... (2 mnths or so).

Here's something even dumber... due to quite a lot of messing with ssh
config files because solaris uses its own (oldish) binary... which
could not get along with modern openssh since a few months ago when
openssh pulled some of the older Kex algo's out of default use.

I went back and forth and finally built an openssh on solaris.

Somehow the sshd_config on the Gentoo HOST got updated and I allowed
my hand edited version to be overwritten (unknowingly)

So to quit making excuses and just lay it out.

sshd_config did not have X11 forwarding turned on, on the Gentoo host.

I'm very sorry for wasting your time.