* Track down a failure involving shr
@ 2014-12-20 21:16 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-12-20 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Setup: Gentoo linux (new install)
       emacs-25
       gentoo pkg emacs-vcs which installs from the bzr trunk

I'm attempting to change from using w3m to render html to using the
default shr.

I've gone thru my init files and removed all reference to w3m or
emacs-w3m.

I'm pretty sure that change is the source of my current problem but
not thinking of how to track it down.

Or maybe something to do with using the changing devel version of
emacs.

Cutting to the chase...

So far, with every message I've opened from the `gwene' group:
   gwene.com.stackoverflow.feeds.tag.emacs

[NOTE: I have not seen the problem on any group I read other than
 gwene groups]

When I attempt to open a posting I get:

 [From the *Messages* buffer]

 mm-shr: Symbol's function definition is void:
 libxml-parse-html-region

The message is opened like one expects to see when opening raw message
with C+u g.

(back trace is posted near the end)

Just a quick grep on libxml-parse-html-region in the lisp files shows
that string is present in nearly 20 files some of that figure is
caused by finding the string in both elc and el versions.  But still a
bit daunting as to how to track this down.

So, I could use a bit of coaching on tracking this down.

Since it is the devel version of emacs, I probably should be posting
on the devel group, but man, those folks look to be very busy right now.

So anyone have some ideas about what might be going on.
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

Back trace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function libxml-parse-html-region)
  libxml-parse-html-region(1 2208)
  mm-shr((#<buffer  *mm*> ("text/html" (charset . "utf-8")) 8bit nil nil nil nil nil))
  mm-inline-text-html((#<buffer  *mm*> ("text/html" (charset . "utf-8")) 8bit nil nil nil nil nil))
  mm-display-inline((#<buffer  *mm*> ("text/html" (charset . "utf-8")) 8bit nil nil nil nil nil))
  gnus-mime-display-single((#<buffer  *mm*> ("text/html" (charset . "utf-8")) 8bit nil nil nil nil nil))
  gnus-mime-display-part((#<buffer  *mm*> ("text/html" (charset . "utf-8")) 8bit nil nil nil nil nil))
  gnus-display-mime()
  gnus-article-prepare-display()
  gnus-article-prepare(11305 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(11305 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil pseudo)
  gnus-summary-scroll-up(1)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up 1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-summary-scroll-up)