* How do you use gnus? really.
@ 2014-09-13 18:34 jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2014-09-13 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello.

I can't use GNUS basically at all.

One thing I constantly want to do is go to my sent messages and find the
thread in the actual NNTP channels, like this channel. But I cant do
that.

I press ^ over the message in sent+archive:2014-09 folder and I get:

    No reference in article x" or "cant find article some-cryptic-id"

I can't believe for a second that I;m the only person that has that
workflow.

How do you use GNUS in a way that avoid this problem?
How do you find the messages you sent in all the channels and then find
the answers to those messages? You scroll through every channel in which
you;re interested? I think its not very efficient. I want to go to the
sent folder, and press ^ or some other key and be sent to the
corresponding thread in the corresponding channel for that message.

Please help cause for me GNUS is almost unusuable; however, I would like
to use it as for the other parts of it, it seems nice.

Thanks in advance for your kind help and time.

* Re: How do you use gnus? really.
@ 2014-09-14  6:29 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-09-14  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> One thing I constantly want to do is go to my sent messages and find the
> thread in the actual NNTP channels, like this channel. But I cant do
> that.

> I press ^ over the message in sent+archive:2014-09 folder and I get:

>     No reference in article x" or "cant find article some-cryptic-id"

"No reference in article x" means that the article you try to find the
parent of, doesn't have a references header or a in-reply-to header.

"can't find article some-cryptic-id" means that the server doesn't know
anything about the article.  Are you offline when you try this?

> I can't believe for a second that I;m the only person that has that
> workflow.

I don't know.

I think the 'T s' command (gnus-summary-show-thread) is more what you're
looking for, than '^'.  Though it will have the same limitations with
respect to missing references as the '^' command does.

> How do you use GNUS in a way that avoid this problem?
> How do you find the messages you sent in all the channels and then find
> the answers to those messages?

I don't understand what you mean by this.  Do you post the same message
to multiple groups?

> You scroll through every channel in which you;re interested?

I'm subscribed to the groups I'm interested, and when the Group buffer
shows me that a group has new articles, I enter that group.

If I have posted something I want to see the answer to, I go to my own
article when it first appears, and mark it with '?'.

Then it will be hidden the next time I enter the group, unless it has
been replied to, in which case the entire thread from the '?'-article to
the response will be displayed.

I also score up articles posted by me, so that they, and the threads
responding to them, will be displayed first when I enter a group.

* Re: How do you use gnus? really.
@ 2014-09-14 10:13 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-09-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jenia.ivlev@gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:

> One thing I constantly want to do is go to my sent messages and find
> the thread in the actual NNTP channels, like this channel.

I never do that - maybe because I can't, maybe because I have adapted to
how things work... I am not quite sure.

You can go to the newsgroup and find your own articles there by
searching for your name (/ a), and then you have the thread directly?

> I press ^ over the message in sent+archive:2014-09 folder and I get:
>
>     No reference in article x" or "cant find article some-cryptic-id"

Does it help to configure the variable gnus-refer-article-method ?

> I can't believe for a second that I;m the only person that has that
> workflow.

I've never thought of doing that, but...

> How do you find the messages you sent in all the channels and then find
> the answers to those messages?

I usually read the newsgroups I am subscribed to, so I don't need to do
anything special to find the answers - they arrive as unread articles,
and I read them.

I highlight replies by using the trick of scoring on the constant part
of my Message-Id's in the References header.

I.e. I have in my ~/News/all.SCORE:

 ("references"
  ("<87[0-9a-z]+\\.fsf\\(_-_\\)?@.*koldfront.dk>" nil nil r))

(The constant part varies from user to user, of course).

> You scroll through every channel in which you;re interested?

Well, I only see the new articles, but yes. This only works well for
groups with groups with a reasonable traffic level; the all.SCORE trick
mentioned above helps on larger groups, but I guess huge groups, like
lkml, would be problematic in any case.

> I want to go to the sent folder, and press ^ or some other key and be
> sent to the corresponding thread in the corresponding channel for that
> message.

I wonder if the "warp" functionality can be used/expanded for your use.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It must be a fallen angel! Generally they burn up           Adam Sjøgren
  in the atmosphere, but this one apparently             asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How do you use gnus? really.
@ 2014-09-14 10:23   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-09-14 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I press ^ over the message in sent+archive:2014-09 folder and I get:

>>     No reference in article x" or "cant find article some-cryptic-id"

> Does it help to configure the variable gnus-refer-article-method ?

^ does work for me on the article I am replying to (my own) in the
archive group; I have this set:

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| gnus-refer-article-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is (current
|  (nnml "archive")
|  (nntp "news.gmane.org")
|  (nntp "news.sunsite.dk"))
|
| Original value was current
|
| Documentation:
| Preferred method for fetching an article by Message-ID.
| The value of this variable must be a valid select method as discussed
| in the documentation of `gnus-select-method'.
|
| It can also be a list of select methods, as well as the special symbol
| `current', which means to use the current select method.  If it is a
| list, Gnus will try all the methods in the list until it finds a match.
`----

I think it is the (nntp "news.gmane.org") part that makes it work in
this case.

(A T does not work, neither does A W, however.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Det er svært at lydskrive falsksang."                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How do you use gnus? really.
@ 2014-09-16 14:15     ` jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2014-09-16 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thanks a lot. I tried doing:
     ;; Keep enough entries to have a good hit rate when referring to an
     ;; article using the registry.  Use long group names so that Gnus
     ;; knows where the article is.
     (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500)

     (gnus-registry-initialize)

     (setq gnus-refer-article-method
           '(current
             (nnregistry)
             (nnweb "gmane" (nnweb-type gmane))))

Its from "9.18.2 Fetching by Message-ID Using the Registry" from GNUS'
manual.

After sending this message, Ill see if it work or not.

* Re: How do you use gnus? really.
@ 2014-09-16 20:55       ` jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2014-09-16 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

So I added:

     (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500)

     (gnus-registry-initialize)

     (setq gnus-refer-article-method
           '(current
             (nnregistry)
             (nnweb "gmane" (nnweb-type gmane))))

Now when I press ^ on a sent message from the "sent folder" I get the
parent of the message (like if I respond to someone, Ill get that
someone's original message).

That's definetly very encouraging.
But if its possible, can someone point me to how do I press C-something
and be teleported to the original thread.
I mean, for the summary buffer to open in that news-group on the
original thread to which that sent message belongs to.

Cause now, I only get the parents. But what if there are children of the
sent-message? I want to be able to read them too.

Is that possible? If not its not a horrible problem. It's just very hard
to imagine that this is not used all the time by all of you. Me I want
to do that very often. I go to my sent messages and for some, I want to
be shown the origial thread (and all the new messages that that thread
now has)

So if anyone knows how to let me know please.

Thanks in advance.
jenia

* Re: How do you use gnus? really.
@ 2014-09-17  8:39         ` Eric S Fraga