* Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-19 19:14 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-19 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

emacs-24 bzr of 2 days ago
gnus of 2 days ago.
Running on Debian linux

I seem to be the only lonesome somebody who can't get gmail working
normally with gnus.

I seem to be connecting ok but fail to see much of the mail stored
there.  Now it seems even new mail is not showing up.

I'm using the secondary-select method:
(From gnus)

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")))

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)))
 -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

The nnimap server shows up in server buffer and pressing it I see
these groups:

      26: INBOX
K      0: Personal
       0: Receipts
K      0: Travel
K      0: Work
      34: [Gmail]/All Mail
       0: [Gmail]/Drafts
K      2: [Gmail]/Important
       5: [Gmail]/Sent Mail
K      0: [Gmail]/Spam
K      1: [Gmail]/Starred
K      0: [Gmail]/Trash

There are actually a bunch more groups that have never shown up
here... but right now I'd like to just focus on figuring out why I'm
not seeing the mail on gmail.

So as you see I'm subscribed to
  INBOX
  All Mail
  Drafts
  Sent Mail

You notice INBOX on the server buffer shows 26 but when I actually
look in the INBOX I see only 5

All Mail shows 34 but when I view the group I see 9.

I'm talking about after pressing something like C-u 100 Z R to make
sure I'm asking for the last 100 messages, whether they be old/read or
whatever.

I sent myself 3 messages about 20 minutes ago, but there is no
evidence of them on the gnus setup, after press M-g on each nnimap
group.

And even going into server buffer, closing the nnimap server and
reopening it.

Does anyone know roughly how long it should take for messages that are
visible in gmail online, to become visible in gnus?  Not very long I
would guess.

I saw the 3 new messages on gmail online more or less immediately but
1/2 hour later and after several mail scans and server close opens, I
don't see a thing in the nnimap groups.

This is very abnormal... right?

How can I debug this?

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-19 19:54 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-10-19 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:14:58 -0500, Harry wrote:

> This is very abnormal... right?

I have only done a test-setup with Gmail, but from that small
experience: Yes, very abnormal.

Emails show up via IMAP at the same time as in the web-interface for me
(i.e. pretty much instantly - just did another test).

> How can I debug this?

 $ ssh google.com
 $ cd /usr/src/gmail
 $ vi srv/imap.c

--
 "Gav                                                         Adam Sjøgren
  Strik"                                                 asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20  2:41   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-20  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:14:58 -0500, Harry wrote:
>
>> This is very abnormal... right?
>
> I have only done a test-setup with Gmail, but from that small
> experience: Yes, very abnormal.
>
> Emails show up via IMAP at the same time as in the web-interface for me
> (i.e. pretty much instantly - just did another test).
>
>> How can I debug this?
>
>  $ ssh google.com
>  $ cd /usr/src/gmail
>  $ vi srv/imap.c

Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?
I'm gullible so be kind.

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20  7:20     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-20  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

>>> This is very abnormal... right?
>>
>> I have only done a test-setup with Gmail, but from that small
>> experience: Yes, very abnormal.

I can confirm that.  I only have

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
	     '(nnimap "Gmail"
		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

in my ~/.gnus.el and it works just fine.

>>> How can I debug this?
>>
>>  $ ssh google.com
>>  $ cd /usr/src/gmail
>>  $ vi srv/imap.c
      ^^
> Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?

No. :-)

> I'm gullible so be kind.

He was even doubly bad.  See what command he suggested! ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20  7:56       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-10-20  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> I have only done a test-setup with Gmail, but from that small
>>> experience: Yes, very abnormal.
>
> I can confirm that.  I only have

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	     '(nnimap "Gmail"
> 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>

> in my ~/.gnus.el and it works just fine.

>>>  $ ssh google.com
>>>  $ cd /usr/src/gmail
>>>  $ vi srv/imap.c
>       ^^
>> Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?
>
> No. :-)
>
>> I'm gullible so be kind.
>
> He was even doubly bad.  See what command he suggested! ;-)

;))

> Bye,
> Tassilo

I suggested a simpler select method line earlier in the thread, but at
this point one wonders if its simply a corrupt eld file.

Harry, why not backup/delete your .newsrc.eld and start again?

That said, Gnus is so confusing I dont know 100% if its even used for
imap group status bookmarking or not... ;)

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20  8:13         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-10-20  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> That said, Gnus is so confusing I dont know 100% if its even used for
> imap group status bookmarking or not... ;)

I think nnimap uses what's in .newsrc.eld to minimize the network
traffic, when looking for updates on the IMAP server.  Ie. when doing
`g' in the Group buffer.

But when doing `M-g' on a single group, nnimap will read everything from
the nnimap server, and overwrite the existing values in ~/.newsrc.eld.

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20 13:03       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-20 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

[...]

>>>  $ ssh google.com
>>>  $ cd /usr/src/gmail
>>>  $ vi srv/imap.c
>       ^^
>> Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?
>
> No. :-)
>
>> I'm gullible so be kind.
>
> He was even doubly bad.  See what command he suggested! ;-)

OMG! the v word.

>>> I have only done a test-setup with Gmail, but from that small
>>> experience: Yes, very abnormal.

> I can confirm that.  I only have
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	     '(nnimap "Gmail"
> 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>
> in my ~/.gnus.el and it works just fine.

OK so maybe I've inadvertantly diddled up my gmail settings on gmail.
I'm checking that now.

tried first full removal of all nnimap (server and all)

Restart check Server buffer... no nnimap

OK now eval this:

 (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                            (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                            (nnimap-server-port 993)
                            (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Resubscribe to some of the groups

And its the same baloney as before... I'm not seeing new mail or all
the old mail.

OK not tried this:
   backup and delete .newsrc.eld

start emacs, start gnus
   Of course my carefully built topics tree is gone
   now eval secondary select as above.

Subscribe to some groups
Same old jive as before...

Again no new mail shows up.

OK, checked thoroughly as I know how, the settings on gmail.
I see imap enabled in every single group.

next I will go to a newuser name and start from absolute scratch,
including a new gmail account to match that user.

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20 13:17         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-20 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

[...]

> I suggested a simpler select method line earlier in the thread, but at
> this point one wonders if its simply a corrupt eld file.

I looked back at the 3 posts I see from you, in this thread and the
previous related thread but see no suggested simpler select method.
I'm probably scanning right over it... but I don't see it.

Anyway, I did try the one Tassilo uses and put my group name in it:

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
| 	     '(nnimap "hputnam3"
| 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
`----

And all I get with that (on my existing nnimap groups) is
  "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist"

> Harry, why not backup/delete your .newsrc.eld and start again?

I tried that (reported in previous [recent] message on this thread.

By now I've tried about all there is to try I think... the has got to
be something stopping up the works.... but I'm not finding it.

Next stop, newuser account and test.

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20 13:19         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-20 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>>       ^^
>>> Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?
>>
>> No. :-)
>>
>>> I'm gullible so be kind.
>>
>> He was even doubly bad.  See what command he suggested! ;-)
>
> OMG! the v word.

>> I can confirm that.  I only have
>>
>> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>> 	     '(nnimap "Gmail"
>> 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>>
>> in my ~/.gnus.el and it works just fine.
>
> OK so maybe I've inadvertantly diddled up my gmail settings on gmail.
> I'm checking that now.
>
> tried first full removal of all nnimap (server and all)
>
> Restart check Server buffer... no nnimap
>
> OK now eval this:
>
>  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
>                             (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                             (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                             (nnimap-stream ssl)))
>
> Resubscribe to some of the groups
>
> And its the same baloney as before... I'm not seeing new mail or all
> the old mail.
>
> OK not tried this:
    ^^^^
    should be `now'

>    backup and delete .newsrc.eld
>
> start emacs, start gnus
>    Of course my carefully built topics tree is gone
>    now eval secondary select as above.
>
> Subscribe to some groups
> Same old jive as before...
>
> Again no new mail shows up.
>
> OK, checked thoroughly as I know how, the settings on gmail.
> I see imap enabled in every single group.
>
> next I will go to a newuser name and start from absolute scratch,
> including a new gmail account to match that user.

""

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20 13:39           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-10-20 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I suggested a simpler select method line earlier in the thread, but at
>> this point one wonders if its simply a corrupt eld file.
>
> I looked back at the 3 posts I see from you, in this thread and the
> previous related thread but see no suggested simpler select method.
> I'm probably scanning right over it... but I don't see it.

Sorry... previous thread... the one where I explained the "logical"
server name that enabled me to have multiple gmail accounts indexed in
the authinfo file. Not that its relevant in the light of your new
tests. It seems more than likely that somehow your emacs is picking up
the wrong files : when gnus is loaded switch to the eld buffer and check
which one it really is - ditto for your custom file and init file.

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20 14:27     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-10-20 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:41:21 -0500, Harry wrote:

>>> How can I debug this?

>> $ ssh google.com
>> $ cd /usr/src/gmail
>> $ vi srv/imap.c

> Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?
> I'm gullible so be kind.

I was trying to suggest that it might be a server side problem, but
maybe the way was a little too contrived :-)

Maybe you could try a minimal configuration (perhaps create a test-user
for the purpose) and see if you get the same problems with that?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Gav                                                         Adam Sjøgren
  Strik"                                                 asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20 15:50       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-20 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> $ ssh google.com
>>> $ cd /usr/src/gmail
>>> $ vi srv/imap.c
>
>> Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?
>> I'm gullible so be kind.
>
> I was trying to suggest that it might be a server side problem, but
> maybe the way was a little too contrived :-)
>
> Maybe you could try a minimal configuration (perhaps create a test-user
> for the purpose) and see if you get the same problems with that?

I just finished setting that up:

  New user on linux machine
  new user on gmail

 and it works as expected.

So something in my regular user setup is messing up the imap part.

I actually used the same .gnus file in the above mentioned new setup,
just editing names and mail locations.

With the new test setup, mail sent to gmail shows up on gnus just as
soon as it does on gmail... seems to be no lag at all.

I've compared the new users settings on gmail (all default) to the old
user settings and they compare line for line.

So its apparently not ~/.gnus or gmail settings that is the problem.
Still fishing around so it appears it might take a while... I'm really
kind of lost as to what to be looking at or for.

I guess .emacs would be the next probability since the new test user
used no .emacs at all.

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-20 18:56           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-20 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

Hi Harry,

> Anyway, I did try the one Tassilo uses and put my group name in it:
>
> ,----
> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> | 	     '(nnimap "hputnam3"
> | 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
> `----
>
> And all I get with that (on my existing nnimap groups) is
>   "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist"

I've checked where and when that error is raised, and it means that you
have a malformed select method.  What's the output of

  C-h v gnus-select-method RET
  C-h v gnus-secondary-methods RET

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-22 11:22             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-22 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi Harry,
>
>> Anyway, I did try the one Tassilo uses and put my group name in it:
>>
>> ,----
>> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>> | 	     '(nnimap "hputnam3"
>> | 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>> `----
>>
>> And all I get with that (on my existing nnimap groups) is
>>   "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist"
>
> I've checked where and when that error is raised, and it means that you
> have a malformed select method.  What's the output of
>
>   C-h v gnus-select-method RET
>   C-h v gnus-secondary-methods RET

This output is after I've returned to my original bit of code.
So may not be all that helpful, but something is not allowing my user
to see new mail, or much of old mail.
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

  C-h v gnus-select-method RET

  gnus-select-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
  Its value is (nntp "news.gmane.org")

  Original value was (nntp "news")

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
(This was the original address and still is, after trying your
example)

  gnus-secondary-select-methods is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
  Its value is ((nnimap "hputnam3"
           (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
           (nnimap-server-port 993)
           (nnimap-stream ssl))
   (nnml ""))

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-23 16:05               ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-23 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

Hi Harry,

>> I've checked where and when that error is raised, and it means that
>> you have a malformed select method.  What's the output of
>>
>>   C-h v gnus-select-method RET
>>   C-h v gnus-secondary-methods RET
>
> This output is after I've returned to my original bit of code.  So may
> not be all that helpful, but something is not allowing my user to see
> new mail, or much of old mail.
> -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
>
>   C-h v gnus-select-method RET
>
>   gnus-select-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
>   Its value is (nntp "news.gmane.org")
>
>   Original value was (nntp "news")
>
> -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
> (This was the original address and still is, after trying your
> example)
>
>   gnus-secondary-select-methods is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
>   Its value is ((nnimap "hputnam3"
>            (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>            (nnimap-server-port 993)
>            (nnimap-stream ssl))
>    (nnml ""))

Well, these values look correct.  I don't see how you can get that
"Trying to require a method that doesn't exist" error.

Harry, you really should check if you have a poltergeist on your
computer.  That's the only possibility we've not considered until
now. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
@ 2011-10-25 11:00                 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-25 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Well, these values look correct.  I don't see how you can get that
> "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist" error.
>
> Harry, you really should check if you have a poltergeist on your
> computer.  That's the only possibility we've not considered until
> now. :-)

I've considered the possibility of having a cantankerous ghost of a poor
old gnu that was mistaken for a Cape Buffalo, shot and mounted by
some noble hunter somewhere in the 1830s.