* Re: How to not check for new messages at start-up?
       [not found] ` <877h42u9oq.fsf@ericabrahamsen.net>
@ 2011-10-18  8:09   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-10-18  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tue, Oct 18 2011, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>
>> When Gnus is started it automatically checks for new messages. Can I
>> prevent that? Sometimes I don't want this automatic "g" command but just
>> a quick M-g on a specific group.
>
> If you use `gnus-unplugged' instead of `gnus', that should do what you
> want. You might have to be using the agent, and it doesn't always
> behave exactly as you'd expect, but that's the basic idea…
>
> Eric

or set gnus-activate-level to a very low number:

,----[ C-h v gnus-activate-level RET ]

`----

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1 + No Gnus v0.18

* Re: How to not check for new messages at start-up?
@ 2011-10-18  9:52     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-10-18  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Oct 18 2011, Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> On Tue, Oct 18 2011, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>>
>>> When Gnus is started it automatically checks for new messages. Can I
>>> prevent that? Sometimes I don't want this automatic "g" command but just
>>> a quick M-g on a specific group.
>>
>> If you use `gnus-unplugged' instead of `gnus', that should do what you
>> want. You might have to be using the agent, and it doesn't always
>> behave exactly as you'd expect, but that's the basic idea…
>>
>> Eric
>
> or set gnus-activate-level to a very low number:

Ooh that's nice.

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-10-06 on pelletnNo Gnus v0.18

* Re: How to not check for new messages at start-up?
@ 2011-10-18 10:17       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-10-18 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Oct 18 2011, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18 2011, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>>> If you use `gnus-unplugged' instead of `gnus', that should do what you
>>> want. You might have to be using the agent, and it doesn't always
>>> behave exactly as you'd expect, but that's the basic idea…
>>>
>>> Eric
>>
>> or set gnus-activate-level to a very low number:
>
> Ooh that's nice.

No, it's not! If I set this to a level higher than some of my nntp
servers, they don't show up at all! Is it possible to get them back into
the server list afterwards?

--

@ 2011-10-18 16:53         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-10-18 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tue, Oct 18 2011, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> or set gnus-activate-level to a very low number:
>>
>> Ooh that's nice.
>
> No, it's not! If I set this to a level higher than some of my nntp
> servers, they don't show up at all! Is it possible to get them back into
> the server list afterwards?

I'm not sure what gnus-activate-level has to do with servers?  It is
about groups.  All of my nntp groups have a level greater than 2 and yet
they appear in my server list (I have gnus-activate-level set to 2).

If you are talking about the groups, you can view all groups, whether
activated or not, using L (gnus-group-list-all-groups) in the *Group*
buffer.  Alternatively, you can activate groups at any level with "C-u N
g" (replace N with desired level, e.g. 5).

--

@ 2011-10-19  0:58           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-10-19  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Oct 19 2011, Eric S Fraga wrote:

>>> Ooh that's nice.
>>
>> No, it's not! If I set this to a level higher than some of my nntp
>> servers, they don't show up at all! Is it possible to get them back into
>> the server list afterwards?
>
> I'm not sure what gnus-activate-level has to do with servers?  It is
> about groups.  All of my nntp groups have a level greater than 2 and yet
> they appear in my server list (I have gnus-activate-level set to 2).
>
> If you are talking about the groups, you can view all groups, whether
> activated or not, using L (gnus-group-list-all-groups) in the *Group*
> buffer.  Alternatively, you can activate groups at any level with "C-u N
> g" (replace N with desired level, e.g. 5).

Yes, sorry, that was a bit confusing. All my nntp groups are at level 5,
and if I start with gnus-activate-level at 4, the nntp server itself
doesn't show up in the server buffer. Running `5 g' brings everything
back to life, though. Thanks!