* freeze with nnimap backend
@ 2011-03-07 13:08 Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-07 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hey,

Quite often I have my gnus ("No Gnus v0.13") freezing will fetching my
emails from my imap server. It says "nnimap read 18k" and stays like
this forever or until I hit C-g

How can I help debugging this?

--
Olivier

* Re: freeze with nnimap backend
@ 2011-03-08  9:59 ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-07 14:08:15, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite often I have my gnus ("No Gnus v0.13") freezing will fetching my
> emails from my imap server. It says "nnimap read 18k" and stays like
> this forever or until I hit C-g

After some quick investigations it seems to be a splitting related
issue. Once I hit C-g the INBOX folder has been completely processed but
gnus still reports it contains some messages. If I try to select the
group gnus says there is no message in it though

--

@ 2011-03-08 10:11 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2011-03-08 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Olivier Sirven writes:

> Hey,
>
> Quite often I have my gnus ("No Gnus v0.13") freezing will fetching my
> emails from my imap server. It says "nnimap read 18k" and stays like
> this forever or until I hit C-g
>
> How can I help debugging this?

Sorry for not answering earlier, (setq debug-on-quit) will show the
trace at the moment you interrupt the program.

--
Alberto

* Re: freeze with nnimap backend
@ 2011-03-08 10:13   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2011-03-08 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces writes:

> Olivier Sirven writes:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> Quite often I have my gnus ("No Gnus v0.13") freezing will fetching my
>> emails from my imap server. It says "nnimap read 18k" and stays like
>> this forever or until I hit C-g
>>
>> How can I help debugging this?
>
> Sorry for not answering earlier, (setq debug-on-quit) will show the
> trace at the moment you interrupt the program.

I meant (setq debug-on-quit t).

--
Alberto

* Re: freeze with nnimap backend
@ 2011-03-08 10:39     ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-08 11:13:13, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
> Alberto Luaces writes:
>
>> Olivier Sirven writes:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Quite often I have my gnus ("No Gnus v0.13") freezing will fetching my
>>> emails from my imap server. It says "nnimap read 18k" and stays like
>>> this forever or until I hit C-g
>>>
>>> How can I help debugging this?
>>
>> Sorry for not answering earlier, (setq debug-on-quit) will show the
>> trace at the moment you interrupt the program.
>
> I meant (setq debug-on-quit t).

I set this variable but I don't enter debug mode when hitting C-g.
All I can say is that it seems to hang while doing following IMAP
command:
,----
`----

--

@ 2011-03-08 11:29       ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-08 11:39:19, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I set this variable but I don't enter debug mode when hitting C-g.
> All I can say is that it seems to hang while doing following IMAP
> command:
> ,----
> | 11:37:44 27881 EXAMINE "mail.misc"
> `----

Was due to this folder but I don't know why. I deleted it and everything
went back fine

--

@ 2011-03-08 11:53         ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-08 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-08 12:29:48, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-03-08 11:39:19, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I set this variable but I don't enter debug mode when hitting C-g.
>> All I can say is that it seems to hang while doing following IMAP
>> command:
>> ,----
>> | 11:37:44 27881 EXAMINE "mail.misc"
>> `----
>
> Was due to this folder but I don't know why. I deleted it and everything
> went back fine

Talked too fast...it happens again :(

* Re: freeze with nnimap backend
@ 2011-03-09 17:26           ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-09 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-08 12:53:38, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-03-08 12:29:48, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-03-08 11:39:19, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I set this variable but I don't enter debug mode when hitting C-g.
>>> All I can say is that it seems to hang while doing following IMAP
>>> command:
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>
>> Was due to this folder but I don't know why. I deleted it and everything
>> went back fine
>
> Talked too fast...it happens again :(

seems to happen because of the splitting. I prefixed and postfixed some
regexp with '.*' and issue was solved.

For the record, the impacted regexps were something like this:
"@\\(str1\\|str2\\)\\.com"

Seems like it happens when the regexp starts with a non-word delimiter.

--

@ 2011-03-15 17:14             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> writes:

> seems to happen because of the splitting. I prefixed and postfixed some
> regexp with '.*' and issue was solved.
>
> For the record, the impacted regexps were something like this:
> "@\\(str1\\|str2\\)\\.com"
>
> Seems like it happens when the regexp starts with a non-word delimiter.

So if you had a split rule containing that regexp, it would infloop?
Hm...  the splitting itself is independent of the backend, so doing this
should hang on nnml, too, and I've seen no such reports.

Are you absolutely sure that the hang is totally gone?  :-)

* Re: freeze with nnimap backend
@ 2011-03-16  1:17               ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-16  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-15 18:14:57, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Are you absolutely sure that the hang is totally gone?  :-)

Yeah :)

Another thing I noticed is the high number of gnutls-cli processes that
can be launched, sometimes I get 6 processes running for only one IMAP
server. That sounds a bit more excessive isn't it?

--

@ 2011-03-17 17:48                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-17 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2011-03-15 18:14:57, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>> Are you absolutely sure that the hang is totally gone?  :-)
>
> Yeah :)

Weird.  :-)

> Another thing I noticed is the high number of gnutls-cli processes that
> can be launched, sometimes I get 6 processes running for only one IMAP
> server. That sounds a bit more excessive isn't it?

Yes.  It sounds like Gnus is thinking that the connections are dead when
they aren't, perhaps?  Or does Gnus start up six gnutls-cli processes
when you say `M-x gnus'?