* HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
@ 2011-03-01 12:41 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-01 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have tried customising shr-width, setting it to nil so that the
rendering uses the full window width.  However, it appears that the
rendering uses lines one character too long...  has anybody else noticed
this?  Or am I doing something else wrong?

I'm using gnus from git up-to-date as of this morning.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.14

* Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
@ 2011-03-01 12:53 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-03-01 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

> I have tried customising shr-width, setting it to nil so that the
> rendering uses the full window width.  However, it appears that the
> rendering uses lines one character too long...  has anybody else
> noticed this?  Or am I doing something else wrong?

I've just tested it, and at least for the html mails I used for testing,
the width was exactly the window width.  Maybe you accidentally resized
the emacs window after the article was shown?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
@ 2011-03-01 16:06   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-01 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
>> I have tried customising shr-width, setting it to nil so that the
>> rendering uses the full window width.  However, it appears that the
>> rendering uses lines one character too long...  has anybody else
>> noticed this?  Or am I doing something else wrong?
>
> I've just tested it, and at least for the html mails I used for testing,
> the width was exactly the window width.  Maybe you accidentally resized
> the emacs window after the article was shown?
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

No, I definitely did not resize the window (I use ratpoison as my window
manager and all windows are full screen all the time).  I'll play around
some more to see if the behaviour is different for specific HTML
examples.  It's not a big deal, in any case, as (a) I don't get many
HTML messages and (b) I can easily truncate-lines when I do...

I must say that having changed the table border characters (vertical,
horizontal and corners) all to spaces, the result is actually quite
pleasing (in a "if I have to read such emails, at least they should look
good" kind of way).  Interestingly, the customise interface does not
allow specifying a space as the character to use, but that's another
story ;-)

Thanks,
eric

--

@ 2011-03-05 11:12 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have tried customising shr-width, setting it to nil so that the
> rendering uses the full window width.  However, it appears that the
> rendering uses lines one character too long...  has anybody else noticed
> this?

I'm unable to reproduce this bug.  It sounds like shr thinks the window
is wider than it is?

What does (window-width) return for you in the article buffers?

* Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I must say that having changed the table border characters (vertical,
> horizontal and corners) all to spaces, the result is actually quite
> pleasing

I played around with that a bit, and I'm not sure...  Perhaps we should
flip the defaults to be spaces and people can report whether they like
it or not?

* Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
@ 2011-03-07 17:40       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-07 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 12:13:16 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> I must say that having changed the table border characters (vertical,
>> horizontal and corners) all to spaces, the result is actually quite
>> pleasing

LMI> I played around with that a bit, and I'm not sure...  Perhaps we should
LMI> flip the defaults to be spaces and people can report whether they like
LMI> it or not?

Make it a "visual set" of characters.  Unicode has some nice ones too so
it should be customizable.

Ted

* Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
@ 2011-03-08  8:53   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-08  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I have tried customising shr-width, setting it to nil so that the
>> rendering uses the full window width.  However, it appears that the
>> rendering uses lines one character too long...  has anybody else noticed
>> this?
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this bug.  It sounds like shr thinks the window
> is wider than it is?
>
> What does (window-width) return for you in the article buffers?

I am not sure what was happening but things are working just fine now.
I must have done something strange/silly...

Thanks for looking into this.

--

@ 2011-03-08  8:57       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-08  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I must say that having changed the table border characters (vertical,
>> horizontal and corners) all to spaces, the result is actually quite
>> pleasing
>
> I played around with that a bit, and I'm not sure...  Perhaps we should
> flip the defaults to be spaces and people can report whether they like
> it or not?

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was requesting a change in
the default?  I was simply complimenting gnus (and you) on a really nice
feature!  (for when we get those less-than-desirable HTML emails)

I have no particular preference for the defaults.  I guess the defaults
you have at the moment are fine: they explicitly show that you are
handling tables.  It's easy enough to customise the characters used
(although not if you want to set them to spaces using the customise
interface unfortunately).

Thanks again,
eric

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Make it a "visual set" of characters.  Unicode has some nice ones too so
> it should be customizable.

It is customisable, but the defaults should be 1) purdy and 2) work
everywhere.  I've been using spaces for the last week, and I think it
looks quite nice.

* Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have no particular preference for the defaults.  I guess the defaults
> you have at the moment are fine: they explicitly show that you are
> handling tables.

Yeah, but do we need to know that there are tables?  :-)

* Re: HTML rendering: shr-width doesn't quite work properly with full window width
@ 2011-03-15 17:32           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-15 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I have no particular preference for the defaults.  I guess the defaults
>> you have at the moment are fine: they explicitly show that you are
>> handling tables.
>
> Yeah, but do we need to know that there are tables?  :-)

I agree (which is why I did change all the chars to spaces).  And it has
made my html reading experience more pleasant.  Thanks.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.14