From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Trouble with gnus-agent-expire
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:13:08 -0500	[thread overview]

I don't use gnus-agent-expire very often... not as often as I should
anyway.  So its probably been at least 2 mnths since I've run it.  This
time its different.  It just runs forever (or at least says
gnus-agent-expire in echo area.  And emacs is building up a pretty
good head of steam, showing 75 percent resource hogging after about 10
minutes.

I measured the size of News... before starting, just out of habit, and
left it runnning for a couple of hours... not really on purpose, just
got busy on other virtual desktops and didn't notice it was still
running.  I did notice sluggishness... and finally started checking.
Killed it with Ctrl-g rechecked the size of ~/News... no change at all.
Still stready at 958M. There are no errors.

I thought to update gnus to todays cvs.. although it wasn't more than
a few wks old... No change... As it happens I'd updated emacs day
before yesterday (I run the cvs 23 version).

One thing I started doing fairly recently is running gnus from a
running emacs --daemon.   So I thought to take that out of the
equation and killed it off, fired up gnus on new instance of emacs
proper... not a daemon.  no change.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to go about debugging this.