* Which font faces for nnimap group names?
@ 2008-12-15 21:58 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2008-12-15 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm using a fairly recent CVS download of gnus under Emacs 23.0.60.1.

I'm trying to figure out which font faces gnus uses when rendering
nnimap-based group names in the *Group* buffer. I've been using
trial-and-error to attempt to set these faces via `customize-faces', but
this is a tedious process.

More generally, is there documentation anywhere which describes which
faces gnus uses for which purposes? I couldn't find this anywhere in the
gnus info documentation.

And a related question: is there any way within Emacs 23.x to query the
text which is showing on the screen and to find out the face that is
being used for rendering it?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Which font faces for nnimap group names?
@ 2008-12-15 22:17 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2008-12-15 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
> I'm trying to figure out which font faces gnus uses when rendering
> nnimap-based group names in the *Group* buffer. I've been using
> trial-and-error to attempt to set these faces via `customize-faces', but
> this is a tedious process.

You can get a list of all currently known faces via M-x list-faces-display.

Gnus uses the faces beginning with "gnus-group-mail-" for mail folders.

> And a related question: is there any way within Emacs 23.x to query the
> text which is showing on the screen and to find out the face that is
> being used for rendering it?

Using C-u C-x = will give you that information on the current point
position (and much more).

-David

* Re: Which font faces for nnimap group names?
@ 2008-12-15 23:27   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2008-12-15 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>> I'm trying to figure out which font faces gnus uses when rendering
>> nnimap-based group names in the *Group* buffer. I've been using
>> trial-and-error to attempt to set these faces via `customize-faces', but
>> this is a tedious process.
>
> You can get a list of all currently known faces via M-x list-faces-display.

Yes, I know that, but it doesn't tell me which faces are used for which
purposes within gnus, nor anywhere else.

> Gnus uses the faces beginning with "gnus-group-mail-" for mail folders.

Yes, these are the ones that I've been focusing on. However, there are
something like 16 of them, and it's a matter of trial and error for me
to determine which are used for which purpose under gnus.

>> And a related question: is there any way within Emacs 23.x to query the
>> text which is showing on the screen and to find out the face that is
>> being used for rendering it?
>
> Using C-u C-x = will give you that information on the current point
> position (and much more).

Aha! That's it! It tells me that one of the faces I'm interested in is
called `gnus-group-mail-3-empty-face'. It would have taken me around 6
or 7 more trial-and-error attempts before I got to this one.

How can I know when `*-mail-1-*', `*-mail-2-*', or `*-mail-3-*' are used
for any given header? Do I have to determine this by reading the gnus
source code, or is it documented somewhere else?

But from now on, I'll use `C-u C-x ='.

Thanks!

--

@ 2008-12-16  1:39     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-12-16  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> How can I know when `*-mail-1-*', `*-mail-2-*', or `*-mail-3-*' are used
> for any given header? Do I have to determine this by reading the gnus
> source code, or is it documented somewhere else?

(describe-variable 'gnus-group-highlight) <- type `C-x C-e' here

(info "(gnus)Group Highlighting"),
(info "(gnus)Summary Highlighting"), and
(info "(gnus)Article Highlighting") will also help.

Regards,

* Re: Which font faces for nnimap group names?
@ 2008-12-16  3:16       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2008-12-16  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> How can I know when `*-mail-1-*', `*-mail-2-*', or `*-mail-3-*' are used
>> for any given header? Do I have to determine this by reading the gnus
>> source code, or is it documented somewhere else?
>
> (describe-variable 'gnus-group-highlight) <- type `C-x C-e' here
>
> (info "(gnus)Group Highlighting"),
> (info "(gnus)Summary Highlighting"), and
> (info "(gnus)Article Highlighting") will also help.

Thank you very much.

--

@ 2008-12-16  9:44 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-12-16  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

Hi Lloyd,

> I'm using a fairly recent CVS download of gnus under Emacs 23.0.60.1.

AFAIK the Gnus that comes with Emacs 23 is the most current version you
can get, so I'd use that instead of a separate Gnus CVS checkout.

Or is the Emacs Gnus back again because of emacs 23's feature freeze?

> I'm trying to figure out which font faces gnus uses when rendering
> nnimap-based group names in the *Group* buffer. I've been using
> trial-and-error to attempt to set these faces via `customize-faces',
> but this is a tedious process.

In addition to all the good answers you already got:

Move point on the group name in question and do `M-x customize-face
RET'.  That'll list all faces applied to the current point position and
in most cases that's only one.

Bye,
Tassilo