* Problems copying Gnus configuration to a new account
@ 2008-11-07 13:09 Vegard Vesterheim
From: Vegard Vesterheim @ 2008-11-07 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I am trying to copy my complete Gnus setup to a different user account
(on the same host), but my *Group* buffer on the new account is empty
(0 Messages) and the *Server* buffer only has 'nnml:archive'.

I cannot figure out what is missing. I know that I can manually
register new servers in the *Server* buffer, but I would like to
understand how and where Gnus stores my server settings.

I am primarily using the nnimap backend (two differend IMAP accounts),
but I have configured a combination of nnml and nnimap like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
 	(nnimap "foo" ...)
 	(nnimap "bar" ...)))

The following files are identical on the two accounts:

  ~/.emacs
  ~/.gnus
  ~/.newsrc
  ~/.newsrc.eld
  ~/.mail/active

Gnus on my new account doesn't even try to contact the configured IMAP
servers.

What am I missing here?

 - Vegard V -

* Re: Problems copying Gnus configuration to a new account
@ 2008-11-07 19:05 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-11-07 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I am trying to copy my complete Gnus setup to a different user account
> (on the same host), but my *Group* buffer on the new account is empty
> (0 Messages) and the *Server* buffer only has 'nnml:archive'.

How did you copy the Gnus setup?  Ie. what files did you copy?

* Re: Problems copying Gnus configuration to a new account
@ 2008-11-07 23:02   ` Vegard Vesterheim
From: Vegard Vesterheim @ 2008-11-07 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 20:05:48 +0100 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>> I am trying to copy my complete Gnus setup to a different user account
>> (on the same host), but my *Group* buffer on the new account is empty
>> (0 Messages) and the *Server* buffer only has 'nnml:archive'.
>
> How did you copy the Gnus setup?  Ie. what files did you copy?

I have copied the files I mentioned in my original message.

  ~/.emacs
  ~/.gnus
  ~/.newsrc
  ~/.newsrc.eld
  ~/.mail/active

I am baffled by this, I even tried strace'ing emacs while Gnus is
doing its thing, and I cannot figure out which files Gnus needs to
recreate my original configuration.

@ 2008-11-08  9:05     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2008-11-08  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Vegard Vesterheim <vegard.vesterheim@uninett.no> writes:

>>> I am trying to copy my complete Gnus setup to a different user account
>>> (on the same host), but my *Group* buffer on the new account is empty
>>> (0 Messages) and the *Server* buffer only has 'nnml:archive'.
>>
>> How did you copy the Gnus setup?  Ie. what files did you copy?
>
> I have copied the files I mentioned in my original message.
>
>   ~/.emacs
>   ~/.gnus
>   ~/.newsrc
>   ~/.newsrc.eld
>   ~/.mail/active
>
> I am baffled by this, I even tried strace'ing emacs while Gnus is
> doing its thing, and I cannot figure out which files Gnus needs to
> recreate my original configuration.

Maybe the following page on the EmacsWiki can help you:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSync

-David