* variable-pitch font in article buffer
@ 2008-06-19  6:10 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-06-19  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Now that Emacs CVS has the face-remapping-alist featrue, I'll mention
this little hack I have in ~/.gnus:

(defun gnus-article-variable-pitch-mode (&optional arg)
  "Apply `variable-pitch-mode' in article buffer."
  (interactive (list (or current-prefix-arg (quote toggle))))
  (with-current-buffer gnus-article-buffer
    (variable-pitch-mode arg)))

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
          (lambda () (local-set-key "v" 'gnus-article-variable-pitch-mode)))

(add-hook 'gnus-article-mode-hook
          (lambda () (variable-pitch-mode t)))

I dunno if something similar is desirable for default Gnus, but having a
variable-pitch font in the article buffer is often really nice --
messages with lots of prose can be significantly easier to read.

However some articles really need a fixed-pitch font, thus the
easy-to-hit summary-buffer binding to toggle variable-pitch mode in the
article buffer.

-Miles

--
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson