* Question about sorting articles inside threads and a documentation bug
@ 2007-07-06 20:02 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-07-06 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

first I found a documentation bug.

Section (info "(gnus)Sorting the Summary Buffer") mentions a function
`gnus-thread-sort-by-date-reverse' that's not defined (in No
Gnus). That's not needed anyway because (not gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
already does what the function's name suggests.

Ok, and now a sorting question. I'd like to have threads sorted this
way:

        - On top are threads with highest total score
        - If scores are equal, then the thread with the most recent
          articles comes first
        - If that's equal, then sort by number

That's easily done with

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
        gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date
        gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score))

But _inside_ a thread, I'd like to sort according to the articles date
(on that branching level). Here's an example:

09:00 -- 09:01
      |- 09:03
      |- 09:17 -- 09:22
      |        |- 11:20 -- 13:45
      |        |        `- 14:00
      |        `- 12:11
      `- 11:57

With the `gnus-thread-sort-functions' above newer articles are on
top. That's quite inconvenient because often posters refer to earlier
postings, e.g. Reiner says in the article on 11:57: "As Katsumi pointed
out in his article on 9:03,...". Of course I don't have read that older
article at that time yet.

How can I do that?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
VI VI VI - The Roman Number Of The Beast

* Re: Question about sorting articles inside threads and a documentation bug
@ 2007-09-15 13:09 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-15 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2007-07-06 21:02 +0100, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> first I found a documentation bug.
>
> Section (info "(gnus)Sorting the Summary Buffer") mentions a function
> `gnus-thread-sort-by-date-reverse' that's not defined (in No
> Gnus). That's not needed anyway because (not gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
> already does what the function's name suggests.

I have also found this error in the doc. See:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/65191

Can someone fix it?

> Ok, and now a sorting question. I'd like to have threads sorted this
> way:
>
>         - On top are threads with highest total score
>         - If scores are equal, then the thread with the most recent
>           articles comes first
>         - If that's equal, then sort by number
>
> That's easily done with
>
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
>       '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
>         gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date
>         gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score))
>
> But _inside_ a thread, I'd like to sort according to the articles date
> (on that branching level). Here's an example:
>
> 09:00 -- 09:01
>       |- 09:03
>       |- 09:17 -- 09:22
>       |        |- 11:20 -- 13:45
>       |        |        `- 14:00
>       |        `- 12:11
>       `- 11:57
>
> With the `gnus-thread-sort-functions' above newer articles are on
> top. That's quite inconvenient because often posters refer to earlier
> postings, e.g. Reiner says in the article on 11:57: "As Katsumi pointed
> out in his article on 9:03,...". Of course I don't have read that older
> article at that time yet.
>
> How can I do that?

The sorting thing is completely mysterious to me. I want threads to be
sorted by the largest article number within the thread in a ascending
order. I tried `(not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number)' but I am
still seeing some threads not sorted under this rule.

Can someone help?

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

=>             "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
=>           http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html