From: reader@newsguy.com
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 07:14:32 -0400	[thread overview]

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>>
>> And I suppose some lisp can do it to.
>
> mailcap-mime-data has various bits builtin.
> mailcap-add (or maybe mailcap-add-mailcap-entry) might be the way to add
> to it.

Thanks... I'm not finding those cmds or vars with M-x mailcap-a<spc>

How does one access or modify them?  Does something special need to be
loaded? (Beyond mailcap.el)

I tried to add a special viewer in .../lisp/mailcap.el  around line
141 (at the asterisks below) after commenting out `gv -safer'.
Then renamed mailcap.elc mailcap.elcX and restarted gnus forcing it to
load source file mailcap.el with modification.

Its probably in the wrong place or isn't used in this way... but at any
rate it didn't change anything.    Pressing RET on an *.pdf just goes
immediately to save dialog where as it did try to use gv before the edit.

     ("pdf"
;;      (viewer . "gv -safer %s")
**      (viewer . "/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread %s")
      (type . "application/pdf")
      (test . window-system)
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdf2ps %s - | " mailcap-print-command)))
     ("pdf"
      (viewer . "gpdf %s")
      (type . "application/pdf")
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdftops %s - | " mailcap-print-command))
      (test . (eq window-system 'x)))
     ("pdf"
      (viewer . "xpdf %s")
      (type . "application/pdf")
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdftops %s - | " mailcap-print-command))
      (test . (eq window-system 'x)))
     ("pdf"
      (viewer . ,(concat "pdftotext %s -"))
      (type   . "application/pdf")
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdftops %s - | " mailcap-print-command))
      ("copiousoutput"))

I seem to recall something easier inserted in gnus.el that will tell
gnus what to use and won't involve editing source files...